Safe to update with Synaptic?

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Safe to update with Synaptic?

Postby lKingjr on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 pm

I've noticed there are new kernels in Synaptic that don't show in Update Manager. IS it safe to install them?

thanks
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Safe to update with Synaptic?

Postby Silent Warrior on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Installing is safe enough. The only snag is that just because a kernel's new doesn't always mean it works better than the old one. Just keep the old kernel so you'll have something to fall back on, in case of failure. And test it carefully before you decide the new one is a keeper, ok? Test OpenGL, sound, networking both wired and wireless, look at lshw-gui or something to see that all your hardware is properly detected...

Hm... You DO mean new kernel-versions, right? Not merely new builds of the same kernel? (The new build will then replace the old kernel, making it a hair more tricky to recover in case of failure.)

That said, I've never had any problem of any sort updating kernels or installing new ones in any Debian-based distribution - Ubuntu, Mint, or LMDE (ok, so that one was all on VBox, but still).
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Safe to update with Synaptic?

Postby lKingjr on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Silent Warrior wrote:Installing is safe enough. The only snag is that just because a kernel's new doesn't always mean it works better than the old one. Just keep the old kernel so you'll have something to fall back on, in case of failure. And test it carefully before you decide the new one is a keeper, ok? Test OpenGL, sound, networking both wired and wireless, look at lshw-gui or something to see that all your hardware is properly detected...

Hm... You DO mean new kernel-versions, right? Not merely new builds of the same kernel? (The new build will then replace the old kernel, making it a hair more tricky to recover in case of failure.)

That said, I've never had any problem of any sort updating kernels or installing new ones in any Debian-based distribution - Ubuntu, Mint, or LMDE (ok, so that one was all on VBox, but still).

thanks. I actually run it in Vbox so not sure why I didn't think of just taking a snapshot with the previous kernel, I did before I updated... I guess it is just a new build because it just changed from *-21 to *-23. You're right though, better safe than sorry.
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues