Postgresql updates and upgrade to v9.0.3

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Postgresql updates and upgrade to v9.0.3

Postby CiaW on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 pm

I thought I'd post this just in case any of the rest of you are using Postgresql on your system. In yesterday's pending updates I saw updates for postgresql v8.4 as well as an 'upgrade' to v9.0.3 so I'd end up having both versions on my system. I wasn't sure whether pgadmin3 version 1.10.5 (current testing version) is compatible with v9, and the newest version of pgadmin3 is 1.12 and that's only available via the experimental repo. I went to the web site for pgadmin3, and it appears it might be but it wasn't specifically mentioned.

So I did the 8.4 updates and held off on the 9.0.3 and found this topic on Debian forums:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... es#p351587 which only has 1 message so far, essentially it says that there are now 2 instances of postgresql server running, 1 for each version. I only have a small database at the moment, 2 servers for 1 small database is sort of overkill. :roll:

After mulling it over I decided to set those updates to ignore (as opposed to installing and migrating my data), since I plan to dual-boot with CentOS 6 if or when it's released; and I don't know whether there will be support for v9 yet, and I don't want to end up with possible issues with not being able to have access to my data without jumping through unknown hoops.

I wanted to post this as a heads-up to anyone else to make sure you check what's being updated before you select the option to install them. (These are showing as a level 3 update in MintUpdate.)
CiaW
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues