Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Postby crazybilly on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I've got a few packages that I'd like to use bleeding edge versions of (gpsbabel for one, and maybe Firefox 4?). I'm assuming the newer versions will eventually drop into Testing, but I'm way to impatient to wait a couple weeks--I'd rather deal with a little bit of instability here and there for these couple packages.

Installing the packages from Sid is no big deal--I can just enable the repo, install the program, then disable the repo again--I'm terrified to run my whole system on Testing ;). However, I'd really like to keep getting updated versions of those packages. Is there a way to enable the testing repo for those packages only?

Thanks!
crazybilly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Postby sgosnell on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:37 am

LMDE uses Testing, which is Wheezy, used to be Squeeze. Sid is Unstable.

I don't know of a way to enable a repository for one or two packages only, other than to manually change the sources.list file when you want to update them. Sid isn't that unstable, in reality. Ubuntu is based on Sid, and I've been using it for some time. I've had no problems at all, and I've seen many recommendations to use Sid instead of Testing, because Sid gets bug fixes much faster.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Postby crazybilly on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Hahaha. Just what I need--an excuse to make my computer more unstable (all I need is an excuse, not a reason :D). I think I'll make the switch tonight/
crazybilly
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues