Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
crazybilly

Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Post by crazybilly »

I've got a few packages that I'd like to use bleeding edge versions of (gpsbabel for one, and maybe Firefox 4?). I'm assuming the newer versions will eventually drop into Testing, but I'm way to impatient to wait a couple weeks--I'd rather deal with a little bit of instability here and there for these couple packages.

Installing the packages from Sid is no big deal--I can just enable the repo, install the program, then disable the repo again--I'm terrified to run my whole system on Testing ;). However, I'd really like to keep getting updated versions of those packages. Is there a way to enable the testing repo for those packages only?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgosnell

Re: Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Post by sgosnell »

LMDE uses Testing, which is Wheezy, used to be Squeeze. Sid is Unstable.

I don't know of a way to enable a repository for one or two packages only, other than to manually change the sources.list file when you want to update them. Sid isn't that unstable, in reality. Ubuntu is based on Sid, and I've been using it for some time. I've had no problems at all, and I've seen many recommendations to use Sid instead of Testing, because Sid gets bug fixes much faster.
crazybilly

Re: Updating Only A Few Packages from Sid?

Post by crazybilly »

Hahaha. Just what I need--an excuse to make my computer more unstable (all I need is an excuse, not a reason :D). I think I'll make the switch tonight/

Return to “LMDE Archive”