LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jlsmith722

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 15 june 2011

Post by jlsmith722 »

Thanks zerozero, I wasn't sure if it was the problem as with the intel graphics.
Special thanks for the links and the fixed version #

Jim
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

I got my desktop cube back, couldn't wait for the new fixed version :lol: This is how I done it:

First, highly advisable to backup your compiz settings from the compiz config settings manager, then head to http://snapshot.debian.org/package/xorg ... a:1.10.1-2 , scroll down to the "xserver-xorg-core 2:1.10.1-2" part and download the appropriate .deb file (mine was xserver-xorg-core_1.10.1-2_i386.deb).

Using terminal, cd to the appropriate place and run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core_1.10.1-2_i386.deb 
Reboot, and you should get compiz back. I had to restore my settings though and everything worked like a charm :D. Oh, and you might want to lock the version of xserver-xorg-core for a while until things get fixed.
ajar108

Post by ajar108 »

Compiz is no longer working after the latest update on 17th June. Anyone has an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

@ajar108

in the two pages of this thread proceeding this page a couple of reasons were given for the break in Compiz. Fixes can be found in those posts. If you have Intel graphics the relevant posts are towards the bottom of the page proceeding this one. (I am presuming the number of posts per page is a constant. If that is so then I am referring to pages 29 & 30.)
FERdeBOER

Post by FERdeBOER »

stz*j wrote:I got my desktop cube back, couldn't wait for the new fixed version :lol: This is how I done it:

First, highly advisable to backup your compiz settings from the compiz config settings manager, then head to http://snapshot.debian.org/package/xorg ... a:1.10.1-2 , scroll down to the "xserver-xorg-core 2:1.10.1-2" part and download the appropriate .deb file (mine was xserver-xorg-core_1.10.1-2_i386.deb).

Using terminal, cd to the appropriate place and run

sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core_1.10.1-2_i386.deb 
Reboot, and you should get compiz back. I had to restore my settings though and everything worked like a charm :D. Oh, and you might want to lock the version of xserver-xorg-core for a while until things get fixed.
Worked for me, thanks!
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Update June 18th

Installing 12 updates this morning BORKED my sound.

To clarify:

The Mint theme sounds are gone after updating....the volume control, vlc, etc. all produce sound..

so where did my mint theme sounds go...
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

malligt wrote:Update June 18th
Installing 12 updates this morning BORKED my sound.
To clarify:
The Mint theme sounds are gone after updating....the volume control, vlc, etc. all produce sound..
so where did my mint theme sounds go...
What is your output if you run

ls -la /usr/share/sounds/
in your terminal?

Do you remember exactly what you updated?
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

I guess I'm held hostage by the gods of LMDE today....

I tried to reinstall LMDE 32 bit (from the 2011 re-spin).
That went fine.

Then I tried (in vain) to install the updates ---- all 1,119 of them.
Enabled all 5 levels.
Error.
Broken packages.
Went to synaptic.
Could not find any broken packages there in the broken filter.
Went to the terminal with the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
Got most of the way thru the installation portion (still via the terminal)....
Error.

Did the entire thing again.
Error.

Did it for a third time.
Error.

<Frustration Speaking>and with all due respect to forum readers:

If I was a first timer and/or a newbie, and this happened to me....I'd go to Mint 9, 10, or 11 in a fleeting heartbeat or maybe even forget about linux all together. I cannot understand how I'd been able to successfully install this distro so many many many many times before, but now all-of-a-sudden...Errors all over the place.

I can't wait for the June 2011 promised re-spin/snapshot to be released. Nobody should be subjected to this type of messed-up update process. Nobody.
geesh!

<End of rant>

What to do to successfully install it now?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Hello malligt
When you did it through the terminla and got to those errors, did you try pressing "q" to contiunue?
This happened to me also, it got to a certain spot, then it showed an error and no matter what you punched into the keyboard it did nothing, zero had a post on pressing q, it then continues.
Also when you get to the grub where it wants to upgrade it in the terminal it won't let you either no matter what you press
(This is important) Thanks to zero for another great tip
continue without installing or upgrading the grub at this point, let it finish installing, then once it's all done DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR SYSTEM YET!
in terminal now you can update your grub before rebooting.
Type in

sudo apt-get install grub
//then after that is done type in//
sudo update-grub
Once it installs and is updated only then can you reboot your system, if you do it before this like I did once, you will get wonky stuff happening :cry:

Hopefully some of this helps out.

Thanks to zero for all the ways to get around all these issues.

Sam
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

malligt wrote:I guess I'm held hostage by the gods of LMDE today....

That went fine.

I did two 64 bit LMDE installs recently, and the updates took so long I would no longer recommend it to anyone.
It way, way past time for a new install version.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

malligt wrote:Installing 12 updates this morning BORKED my sound.

To clarify:

If any one else has problems with event sounds after today's updates, I think the problem may have been caused by the libcanberra0 package. It and three other related packages (libcanberra-gtk0, libcanberra-gtk-module, and gnome-session-libcanberra were in todays updates. The description says
libcanberra defines a simple abstract interface for playing event sounds.
Maybe check the sound preferences application in the preferences section of mintmenu and see if the mint sound theme can be re-enbled.
murali

Post by murali »

samriggs wrote:Hello malligt
When you did it through the terminla and got to those errors, did you try pressing "q" to contiunue?
This happened to me also, it got to a certain spot, then it showed an error and no matter what you punched into the keyboard it did nothing, zero had a post on pressing q, it then continues.
Also when you get to the grub where it wants to upgrade it in the terminal it won't let you either no matter what you press
(This is important) Thanks to zero for another great tip
continue without installing or upgrading the grub at this point, let it finish installing, then once it's all done DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR SYSTEM YET!
in terminal now you can update your grub before rebooting.
Type in

sudo apt-get install grub
//then after that is done type in//
sudo update-grub
Once it installs and is updated only then can you reboot your system, if you do it before this like I did once, you will get wonky stuff happening :cry:

Hopefully some of this helps out.

Thanks to zero for all the ways to get around all these issues.

Sam
Hi,

Would you please tell what kind of stuff happened during your update. I see strange behavior with my system after i upgraded. Not sure if i did anything wrong but don't seem to have observed any error during upgrade. But post that when i rebooted everything was wrong, grub didn't show up, display had strange characters nothing legible and finally gave me login prompt. I'm able to work with my system but grub doesn't work and even when i tried to boot from live usb that is not detected as well during startup. I've listed same issues in another thread then came across this so thought of checking.

Any advise/inputs based on your experience could probably help me, so if you could give me some pointers would be great.

Thanks.
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

malligt wrote:I guess I'm held hostage by the gods of LMDE today....
That went fine.
Enabled all 5 levels.
Error.
Broken packages.
Went to synaptic.
Could not find any broken packages there in the broken filter.
Went to the terminal with the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
Got most of the way thru the installation portion (still via the terminal)....
Error.
Did the entire thing again.
Error.
Did it for a third time.
Error.
<Frustration Speaking>and with all due respect to forum readers:
If I was a first timer and/or a newbie, and this happened to me....I'd go to Mint 9, 10, or 11 in a fleeting heartbeat or maybe even forget about linux all together. I cannot understand how I'd been able to successfully install this distro so many many many many times before, but now all-of-a-sudden...Errors all over the place.
I can't wait for the June 2011 promised re-spin/snapshot to be released. Nobody should be subjected to this type of messed-up update process. Nobody.
geesh!
<End of rant>
What to do to successfully install it now?
You reinstalled the whole system because mint theme sound did not work? If this was your problem just say it, I asked you to tell me the output of

ls -la /usr/share/sounds/

If linuxmint-login.wav was missing it already was a good info. In such a case we could try to put it back, as far as we know it could be enough, at least in order to make it work. If not could be libcanberra0 as dawgdoc said.

You replaced your system or you reinstalled it in a different partition/hard disk?

Just to let you know, if you wanted to have a "safe" system, enable all the 5 levels is probably the only thing to avoid. As you can see in the description:
4. Unsafe packages. Could potentially affect the stability of the system.
5. Dangerous packages. Known to affect the stability of the systems depending on certain specs or hardware.
Besides that is it really a good idea to reinstall? Think about it, you still do not know what borked, as you said, your system (actually, as far as we know you could mess it up, not the updates). Therefore if there is actually a problem with an updated file, even if you reinstall the system a hundred times, as long as you update the 1100 files, you will be in the same situation as before, because you do not know what messed up things and hence what you should avoid to update.

In any case if you want to update try with:

sudo aptitude update
and then

sudo aptitude upgrade
Next time, if it gives an "error", post it at least we know what is going wrong.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Checking further on libcanberr0, I found Bug # 610754 -- libcanberra0 causes segfaults when ca_get_home sets e to NULL. Going to the Debian page for that bug I see there is a patch available, it is titled fix_segfault.diff and can be found at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=610754
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

@ exaeresis

I've enabled all 5 levels because Clem recommended that method for Mint Update.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p400523
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

malligt wrote:@ exaeresis
I've enabled all 5 levels because Clem recommended that method for Mint Update.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p400523
ok.
In any case by updating from terminal the levels are not considered (at least they said that on IRC). Therefore as long as you update from terminal (since MintUpdate seems not working, does not it?) it does not really matter what levels you enabled.
Did it worked with aptitude by the way? If not, what is the error you get?
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

@ exaeresis and @malligt,

Mint Debian is different from Mint main. In Mint main, the safest approach to updating is to leave Update Manager set for only levels 1 to 3. Mint Debian is rolling, using the repositories for Debian testing. So Clem's recommendation is to enable all updates. Everyone should understand that the rolling nature of Mint Debian means that it will be less stable than Mint main, and breakages will occur more frequently.

If you are starting fresh with the January 2011 respin, with over 1100 updates to apply, it will take a very long time. And some of those updates have user prompts (like kernel updates). Using the GUI Update Manager, you should be able to follow the prompts and eventually succeed. However, CLI is faster. But as samriggs said, you miss the dialog popup when you are in terminal. So when it hangs, one method of restarting it is to hit "q" (simulating the end of the user prompt dialog). Some updates require a restart (like the kernel update), and so later updates that are attempted without that restart may be incorrectly applied, causing errors. In most of those cases, though, restarting and then engaging apt again should correct them.

I'm waiting on the respin to install Mint Debian in my main system. Right now I'm running Mint 10 as my main OS, and I have Mint Debian in a VirtualBox VM (that I keep up to date).

Patience, Grasshopper! Either wait for Clem to publish the respin, or if you must install Mint Debian based on the January version, update with the GUI, but patiently babysit it and pay attention to user prompts and reboots.

In any case, enjoy Mint! It really is the most elegant, usable, and configurable distribution I have found. I went through over 100 distros in my early distro-hopping days, and settled on Mint when Daryna was still current. Since then I've dabbled with Ubuntu in various flavors, Fedora, Scientific, Centos, and a few others, but always came home to Mint.

:)
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

kwatson512 wrote:@ exaeresis and @malligt,
...recommendation is to enable all updates
I'd like to add the caveat that if you have proprietary drivers on your system, that could eventually break your system.

I lost my video recently because I wasn't paying attention and let some "mesa" updates through (they were only rated "3"), and I didn't realize it until later on when I rebooted, and all that came up was a blinking cursor. Fortunately, I keep a copy of the ATI install file where I can easily find it from the command line, as this isn't the first time updates have done that to me.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

After a long day here, I installed Linux Mint Debian XFCE 2011-04. Why? Because it's a newer release by 3 months over LMDE.

What I immediately noticed tonight that is in stark contrast to the LMDE debacle I had this morning is that the very first update, is a quantity of ONE and ONE only....drumroll
the newest version of mintupdate.

This absolutely was not happening to me with LMDE and MU this morning.

I'm wondering if the wrong info was inadvertently synced to the mirrors this morning....because now everything is updating the way that I've come to expect from Mint.

Hmmmmmm

Still updating...no update errors yet 7:41 pm EST

The only messages I've had thru the MU gui are samba stopping notifications, and screensaver in use....replace soundlist?....replace cups=pdf?....replace initramfs-conf?....replace xfce menu?....

8:05 pm EST MU done, and no errors.

Now I'm at the terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Done at 8:09 pm!!

Now, not to overthink this but why can't you install the XFCE, and then add-in the gnome packages easier than all the other jazz we've had to go thru with LMDE? Seems a lot less complicated.

I'm just asking you gurus who know debian wayyyyy more than me.

Goodnight to all.
decalguy

Post by decalguy »

I re-installed one month ago today and changed over to stable its been heaven, wish I had just went stable from the beginning. I never had a problem using testing but I was constantly chasing little things. Stable has renewed my love for LMDE I think I have had 3 updates in this month but nothing broke and it did update Firefox to 4.0.1 I really like having a system I'm not always having to adjust.

Mike

Return to “LMDE Archive”