LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wayne128

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 july 2011

Post by wayne128 »

fliteshare wrote:
gcp wrote:RE: python-imaging will break software manager
I never go backwards. python-imaging 1.1.7-4 in the SID repository will fix the problem. :lol:
Just a newbie question
How do I get Synaptic to install "python-imaging 1.1.7-4" ?
If your current repos is Testing you will see only 1.1.7.3
First thing to do is add sid repos to /etc/apt/sources.list
then open synaptic
click reload so that it will load all repos plus new sid repos
now you can search python-imaging or 1.1.7.4, and you should see it listed in synaptic
next is click it, mark it, apply..
when complete, you should remove sid repos from /etc/apt/sources.list.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

fliteshare wrote:
I never go backwards. python-imaging 1.1.7-4 in the SID repository will fix the problem. :lol:
Just a newbie question
I would rather explain it in this way:

Open /etc/apt/sources.list as "adminsitrator" (root), using the text-editor "gedit".
paste in the row:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
Now you can make the updates you asked for.

A simple "#", (without quotes) in front of the row will make it "out of order" when you not want to use it any more.

:D
gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade »

fliteshare wrote:
Just a newbie question
Go to Administration>Sources>Other sources>Add and type: deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
click Add Source and reload.

Administration>Package-manager>Search: Python-imaging.
You probably find python-imaging 1.1.7-3.
Right-click and mark it for update. If you are lucky it will do that and then Mint-install is fully functional agan :)
Drumez

LMDE problems

Post by Drumez »

Only recently I had heard of LMDE. I have been an Ubuntu user for the few past years, but this new 11.04 really makes me want to try something else.

One of the this that really bothered me, was the semi-obligation of having to re-install my operative system every once in a while. So, rolling distros were always very appealing to me. However, the trouble of configuring something as Arch, made me ignore that "attraction" and keep up with Ubuntu. So, LMDE seemed like something that fell out of the sky, giving me a rolling distro, with easy enough installation/configuration. Furthermore, as i have been an Ubuntu user, the debian-based was a very nice plus.

However, I ran into several problems right after I installed LMDE on Virtualbox.

First, trying to check for the possibility of replacing my Ubuntu with LMDE, i did a search for some of my most used programs. One of them was netbeans, which did appear on the "Software portal" webpage, so i was certain it would appear on the software list too. However, it did not, and I still don't understand why, since it is on the mentioned webpage, with several reviews on it, so several other users must be able to "see" it.

Second, I went on to update my system, so i started the update manager, which gave that error "Fix broken packages". I ran a search on this forum, and did an update, upgrade and dist-upgrade with the terminal, which at first, seemed to work. After update is complete, i decided to reboot. And then it happened...When trying to load GRUB, the machine returns a FATAL error, and quits (no mention what's the error whatsoever). Now, the only thing that required user-interaction in the update with GRUB, and to select in which partition to install, and it specifically stated "If you're unsure where to install, install in every partition". And so I did, which apparently had no effect, or GRUB would be able to load.

Now, i'm not here to complain. Linux mint seems like a very good distro. Moreover, I know a rolling distro is not supposed to be as stable as the Ubuntu ones i have been running. But ..the first update I do, i completely break it? Seems to me that the problem is mine, and that i did something wrong. Did I miss any step in the middle?

I know that this is a huge post, with very different topics in it (it is also a wall of text :) ), but does anyone have any clue of what I should do in any of them?
Is the LMDE the right distro for me from what you've read, or should i look elsewhere?

Btw, sorry if this post isn't on the right section, seemed to me that if fitted very well on the LMDE section.

[Mod: Post was moved here, as this thread has already addressed these issues. People really do need to search and read the Forums before posting.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

@ Drumez

I suggest that you wait until the new ISO is released and give LMDE a new try. :)

Then you will not have such big amount of updates, you will have a new installer, a new updater, you will probably have a new function to get proprietary drivers loaded and some more news. :D

I think LMDE will be a really good alternative for you when the new ISO comes! It is only some days or weeks away. :mrgreen:
ehabreda

Post by ehabreda »

Hey to all,

I just made another fresh install...Found about 1200 to upgrade...Finnished the upgrade and everything is fine, but nvidia-glx have the following:

ehab@mintdeb ~ $ sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx
[sudo] password for ehab: 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives{ab} libgl1-nvidia-glx{ab} libglx-nvidia-alternatives{a} nvidia-glx nvidia-installer-cleanup{a} nvidia-kernel-common{a} 
  nvidia-kernel-dkms{a} nvidia-support{a} nvidia-vdpau-driver{a} 
0 packages upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.5 MB of archives. After unpacking 76.9 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libgl1-mesa-glx: Breaks: libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (<= 275.09.07-1) but 275.09.07-1 is to be installed.
  libgl1-nvidia-glx: Breaks: libgl1-mesa-glx (>= 7.10.2-4~) but 7.10.3-3 is installed.
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives: Breaks: libgl1-mesa-glx (>= 7.10.2-4~) but 7.10.3-3 is installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:    
1)     libgl1-nvidia-alternatives [Not Installed]             
2)     libgl1-nvidia-glx [Not Installed]                      
3)     nvidia-glx [Not Installed]                             

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:             
4)     nvidia-kernel-dkms recommends nvidia-glx (>= 275.09.07)

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?
Any suggestions? please...
I have mint deb 64bit.
xircon

Post by xircon »

ehabreda wrote:Hey to all,

I just made another fresh install...Found about 1200 to upgrade...Finnished the upgrade and everything is fine, but nvidia-glx have the following:

ehab@mintdeb ~ $ sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx
[sudo] password for ehab: 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives{ab} libgl1-nvidia-glx{ab} libglx-nvidia-alternatives{a} nvidia-glx nvidia-installer-cleanup{a} nvidia-kernel-common{a} 
  nvidia-kernel-dkms{a} nvidia-support{a} nvidia-vdpau-driver{a} 
0 packages upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.5 MB of archives. After unpacking 76.9 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libgl1-mesa-glx: Breaks: libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (<= 275.09.07-1) but 275.09.07-1 is to be installed.
  libgl1-nvidia-glx: Breaks: libgl1-mesa-glx (>= 7.10.2-4~) but 7.10.3-3 is installed.
  libgl1-nvidia-alternatives: Breaks: libgl1-mesa-glx (>= 7.10.2-4~) but 7.10.3-3 is installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:    
1)     libgl1-nvidia-alternatives [Not Installed]             
2)     libgl1-nvidia-glx [Not Installed]                      
3)     nvidia-glx [Not Installed]                             

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:             
4)     nvidia-kernel-dkms recommends nvidia-glx (>= 275.09.07)

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?
Any suggestions? please...
I have mint deb 64bit.
What do you have in your sources.list?
ehabreda

Post by ehabreda »

Basic mint deb...that's all! :D
xircon

Post by xircon »

If they are set to testing, there is a problem with mesa:
MESA and nVidia/ATI drivers

If you are using a binary nVidia/ATI driver, be careful when upgrading MESA packages. If the update requires the removal of your driver, ignore it for now and wait for Update Pack 2 to update MESA. In particular, be cautious with the following package updates:

libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx
xserver-xorg-core
So just ignore them and don't update, they will be fixed at some point (edited as just woken up and was getting confused with another problem :))
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

I goofed and updated

gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal-data
gnome-themes-standard
gnome-system-monitor
It is possible to revert back to the older packages like doing so with the mesa ones? Or is that too sticky to do so with gnome?
nimbvs

Post by nimbvs »

Today I encountered an error during the update:

Setting up initramfs-tools (0.99) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-2-686-pae
cp: cannot stat `/lib/libacl*': No such file or directory
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/live failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-2-686-pae with 1.
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools
So, it looks like it's crashing in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/live. I searched for the package that contains the file /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/live and found that it belongs to live-initramfs:

dpkg -S /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/live
live-initramfs: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/live
What does live-initramfs do? Do I need it?

aptitude show live-initramfs
Package: live-initramfs                  
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.236.2-1
Priority: optional
Section: misc
Maintainer: Debian Live Project <debian-live@lists.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 512 k
Depends: busybox, file, initramfs-tools, sudo, udev, user-setup
Recommends: cryptsetup, eject, rsync, uuid-runtime, wget
Suggests: loop-aes-utils, curlftpfs, genext2fs (>= 1.4.1), httpfs2,
          squashfs-tools, mtd-tools, unionfs-fuse
Description: Debian Live initramfs hook
 live-initramfs is a hook for the initramfs-tools, used to generate a initramfs
 capable to boot live systems, such as those created by live-helper. This
 includes the Debian Live isos, netboot tarballs, and usb stick images. 

At boot time it will look for a (read-only) media containing a "/live"
 directory where a root filesystems (often a compressed filesystem image like
 squashfs) is stored. If found, it will create a writable environment, using
 aufs or unionfs, for Debian like systems to boot from. 

You probably do not want to install this package onto a non-live system,
 although it will do no harm.
Nop, I don't need it. After removing the package, all is well again.
bluheron1

Post by bluheron1 »

scottlinux - it is possible to revert those back here's how i did it. using synaptic I Added repo : deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free, and disabled other repos temporarily.
Refresh synaptic, search for gnome terminal and then go to packages and force version 2.30 of terminal data and terminal. system monitor can be done the same way. Then disable squeeze repo and enable original repos.
nazijew

aesthetic problem, help!!!

Post by nazijew »

When I upgrade my recently installed "LMDE", everything worked perfect excepting my ATI drivers.
I thought that if you upgrade the system this would be addressed, and yes. Was solved and everything seemed to work perfectly until I opened the terminal and saw that, and not only in the terminal is in other applications, but others work and look perfect. I don't know what is the problem, but I really want to fix that. If anyone knows how to fix it I would appreciate.
As you can see the edges of the terminal are wrong. and the edges of firefox display correctly.
Greetings from mexico.
Last edited by nazijew on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: post was moved to this thread, as this issue is already adressed here;
ud5

Post by ud5 »

thankyou so much tux-sven! I really struggled to do anything else, and I agree that a subsequent version that works is better than a previous version. What I don't understand, is why, for such a fundamental problem, they don't just discontinue the 1.1.7.3 because fundamentally EVERYONE that is now using linuxmint will have probably the most important package (software manager) inoperrable. I swapped to mint recently from Ubuntu, to 'save time' on reinstalls (due to codecs). But truthfully, it would have been quicker sticking with ubuntu.
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

sillyness. while i respect people for doing this, some stuff just needs to work, and at the moment it isnt anything debian based.
NRI

Post by NRI »

Hi everybody!

Newbie here, just migrated from Ubuntu 11.04 to LMDE, 64 bit, and I have a bit of an inconvenient situation.

Last night, as I was updating my LMDE, everything went smoothly with the Mint update manager. Then, when I logged out and back in, my Mint Menu and the entire gnome taskbar at the bottom is gone. However, when I run a program, let's say Firefox, it acts as if the bar is still there, meaning there is a line between the screen and lower frame of FF, showing my desktop. Also, the right-click of my mouse is disabled and when I run sudo apt-get update, some error message tells me that my dropbox repo isn't correct. Weird thing is, the Computer and home folder icon show on the desktop and I can right click them, starting a terminal window that way. :?

This is not just confusing but also really frustrating. Any help you can send my way would be very much appreciated.
normnmiles

Post by normnmiles »

sjonesy wrote:sillyness. while i respect people for doing this, some stuff just needs to work, and at the moment it isnt anything debian based.
I agree it is sillyness. But it's not just Debian. In my case no other current distro (Fedora, OpenSuse, Pclinuxos, Buntus) will boot. Video for ATI Radeon 6310 is horrible right now.

Just gotta wait for all this to settle down.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sjonesy wrote:sillyness. while i respect people for doing this, some stuff just needs to work, and at the moment it isnt anything debian based.
:?:
NRI wrote:Hi everybody!

Newbie here, just migrated from Ubuntu 11.04 to LMDE, 64 bit, and I have a bit of an inconvenient situation.

Last night, as I was updating my LMDE, everything went smoothly with the Mint update manager. Then, when I logged out and back in, my Mint Menu and the entire gnome taskbar at the bottom is gone. However, when I run a program, let's say Firefox, it acts as if the bar is still there, meaning there is a line between the screen and lower frame of FF, showing my desktop. Also, the right-click of my mouse is disabled and when I run sudo apt-get update, some error message tells me that my dropbox repo isn't correct. Weird thing is, the Computer and home folder icon show on the desktop and I can right click them, starting a terminal window that way. :?

This is not just confusing but also really frustrating. Any help you can send my way would be very much appreciated.
can you see in /var/log/apt/history.log which pkgs where updated/installed last time and also can you give us the output of

inxi -r
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

For you and others who might have gotten this impression from reading this thread (and I can't blame you for that):

This thread is entirely based on LMDE updates coming in directly from the Debian Testing repositories, not the new Mint "Incoming and Latest" repositories that have been recently put into place in preparation for the new LMDE respin due in the very near future. Another thing to keep in mind is that every tester posting on this thread along with everyone else currently running LMDE is updating an eight month old (original) release, the results of which does not reflect the stability of any distribution based on Debian Stable in any way, shape or form. What you're seeing is typical for Debian Testing during this part of the current testing cycle. Once Debian Testing gets closer to release (of Wheezy in this case) the breakages will slow down to almost non-existent immediately before release.

The LMDE respin coupled with the new update system should eliminate most if not all breakages for those who remain on the new Mint "Latest" repository (set by default) so stability should be much better, at least on par with the Ubuntu based Mint editions I would think. Maybe better? :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

its sad because i really like the xfce debian mint version, and up until now i was running it all the time. So i canned it and put isadora xfce back on.
btw, disabling nouveau driver in grub makes a HUGE difference in speed and performance while allowing easy installation of vid drivers.

Return to “LMDE Archive”