LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
barko

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 17 may 2011

Post by barko »

Hey,
ZeroZero I just want to thank you for this thread. That's all. :)
zerozero wrote:@malligt no problem there, but unless i'm seen the problem wrong, the issue is packaging:

1- we got a working xchat from debian when perl5.12 broke the Mint xchat;
2- now that pkg is proposed to be updated to a new mint working version, but only xchat-common updates automatically, xchat has to be removed and then re-installed;
3- if you check in synaptic (in xchat-common properties), xchat is marked as recommended, and not as dependent as it should be to be updated aswell;
4- so basically the issue is with the way the pkgs were packed;
5- and the solution now is to do what you did, update xchat-common to the new v. (which will remove the installed xchat pkg - because as old v. is conflicting with the newly updated pkg) and after install the new xchat;
bedo2991

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 4 june 2011

Post by bedo2991 »

I'm using LMDE 64 bit version. After an update I've got a problem with Flash Player's sound. It works well on youtube but it doesn't (I don't know how to describe it in english) on some other website (for example this). If I install the 32 bit version of Flash it works fine. Any solution?
jlsmith722

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 17 may 2011

Post by jlsmith722 »

Silent Warrior wrote:My gut reaction is a configuration-issue - quite possible if you're using the same /home for both distributions. Toy around with volume, outputs, maybe even alsamixer-gui in both, see if it works. Otherwise, I would advice you to remove the file in /home where this is stored. I just don't know what file that might be...
Thanks for the reply silent warrrior.
I have not clue 1 about this. I use different /home for the 2 distributions. I did see the thread about removing pulse audio and installing alsa in LMDE. I tried that last night but it did not help.
Re-installing Natty fixed that side but i am hoping for a less drastic solution for Mint.

Jim
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

bedo2991: Without knowing how your problem manifests itself, it's difficult to say anything - but, I think I have that problem myself as well. :) Sounds like it tries to play back the very first bytes it gets, and doesn't wait until it has a complete frame. So, 32-bit Flash solved it? I don't mean to be tart or anything when I say: if it works, stick with it.

jlsmith: Well, since a reinstall is effectively an all-encompassing rewrite of your configuration files (... I... can't even call that 'broadly speaking', can I?), so if it works for Ubuntu, I'm fairly sure it'll work for Mint. BUT: IF you/we/someone else/their relatives can figure out which file or setting causes this, it'll be even easier.
*Think think* Reinstalling Ubuntu would have wiped /etc - if your two /home are on separate partitions, no need to look there. Try ONLY ONE OF THESE AT A TIME - that is, preferably log out and back in in between attempts. You shouldn't have to reboot, but I'm not the expert here. Pulseaudio has worked for me from day one, see. The key thing here is that you mark the packages for REINSTALLATION, not removal and subsequently manually installing them again. (In fact, I think you'll have a heart failure when you see what packages would be removed along with some of these...) You don't have to try them in any particular order - I think #3 is the least disruptive, might as well start there.
FIRST OF ALL:
Run 'alsamixer' in a terminal, and make sure the volume levels are high enough, that nothing's muted, that there are no creepy messages, that kind of thing. If there's nothing out of the ordinary, proceed. If you make adjustments, double-check that you still have a problem before moving on.
Attempt one:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/sound/events/*.soundlist
- then open Synaptic, find libgnome2-common, right-click it and select Mark for reinstallation. NOTE: I've never done this myself - I'm banking on the files being regenerated when the package is reinstalled. I can't give an absolute guarantee that this is what will happen. Thought it'd be good manners to be up-front about that.
Attempt two:

sudo rm /etc/esound/esd.conf] - then open Synaptic, find esound-common, right-click it and select Mark for reinstallation.
Attempt three:
[code]sudo rm /etc/default/alsa
(If you still have a pulseaudio-file in there, consider rm-ing that as well. If this is where the problem is, though, it should be enough to remove alsa, leaving pulseaudio alone if it's there)
- then open Synaptic, find alsa OR pulseaudio, right-click it/them and select Mark for reinstallation.
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

Silent Warrior:
Thanks again but I got impatient and started the reinstall before I saw your latest. :oops: But i have copied and saved your post in case it happens again.

Jim
Samricky

Post by Samricky »

In all my years of web surfing this has been one of the most interesting and helpful threads I've ever enjoyed reading. A big thanks to all of you who have posted questions, answers, and speculations. I have learned so much here.
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

bedo2991 wrote:I'm using LMDE 64 bit version. After an update I've got a problem with Flash Player's sound.
See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=73108
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Today's update (June 7th) removes debdelta 0.41 (if you use debdelta obviously).

Solution - Allow it to be removed then install debdelta 0.43 from packages.debian.org (sid repository).
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Hi,
Anyone else experiencing the python-apt bug as below? Has shown up on apt-get dist-upgrade today.
Dyfi

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libauthen-ntlm-perl libdigest-hmac-perl libdigest-sha1-perl
liblwp-protocol-https-perl
The following packages will be upgraded:
guile-1.8-libs hpijs libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libhpmud0 libwww-perl
libxml2 libxml2-utils live-config live-config-sysvinit module-init-tools
python-apt python-apt-common python-libxml2 python3-apt
15 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/3,841 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,446 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
serious bugs of python-apt (0.7.100.3+b1 -> 0.8.0) <tagged as pending a fix>
#629512 - python-apt: debsecan 0.4.14 not fixed, must break 0.4.15
Summary:
python-apt(1 bug)
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]
cecar

Post by cecar »

Dyfi wrote:Hi,
Anyone else experiencing the python-apt bug as below? Has shown up on apt-get dist-upgrade today.
Dyfi

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libauthen-ntlm-perl libdigest-hmac-perl libdigest-sha1-perl
liblwp-protocol-https-perl
The following packages will be upgraded:
guile-1.8-libs hpijs libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libhpmud0 libwww-perl
libxml2 libxml2-utils live-config live-config-sysvinit module-init-tools
python-apt python-apt-common python-libxml2 python3-apt
15 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/3,841 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,446 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
serious bugs of python-apt (0.7.100.3+b1 -> 0.8.0) <tagged as pending a fix>
#629512 - python-apt: debsecan 0.4.14 not fixed, must break 0.4.15
Summary:
python-apt(1 bug)
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]
Yes. I just answered yes and everything seems to be ok.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Thanks, I will Clonezilla the partition and then go for it.
gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer »

I have a media server running LMDE (64 bit) and am having some serious audio problems in VLC making the program unusable. I'm pretty sure it was working after the initial install, so one of the updates in the past few weeks killed VLC audio. Sound when playing a video started out with a few skips, and now it just cuts in and out so I've been using another video player (totem) which works fine.

I've searched around the VLC boards but haven't found anyone having the same issue. I'm wondering if the problem is a combination of my architecture and sound hardware.

So this could just be a breakage for (lucky) me, as I don't have any issues with VLC on other machines running LMDE.

output from /proc/asound/cards:

0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xfe024000 irq 16
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfdffc000 irq 19
Debian Testing
g+
thomasmc

MintBackup broken?

Post by thomasmc »

I tried to run mintbackup today, and got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintBackup/mintBackup.py", line 87, in <module>
class MessageDialog(apt.FetchProgress):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FetchProgress'

I've tried reinstalling, but get the same results.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

@thomasmc

i don't know whether mintbackup is broken or not. I don't use it, since i found qt4-fsarchiver. It's in the repos and easy to use.
Maybe it could be a alternative one for you too?
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

@thomasmc

Apparently python-apt was updated to 0.8.0 recently in debian-testing and its not listed properly as a dependency for mintBackup (which it is). According to this referece to what's new in 0.8.0, "The old API that was deprecated in 0.7.100 is no longer available. Applications that have not yet updated to the new API should do so." and their provided migration tool picks up plenty of problems in mintBackup.py.

I'm going to muck around in the code a bit when I have time, but until then I'll get a proper bug report posted with the relevant details. This is also relevant to earlier posts re: python-apt 0.8.0. The short and long of it is, for right now, upgrading that package *will* break some things in LMDE.
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

bedo2991 and anyone else having problems with flash on 64bit LMDE, see my forum post here.
bedo2991

Post by bedo2991 »

hozomean wrote:bedo2991 and anyone else having problems with flash on 64bit LMDE, see my forum post here.
It worked, thank you!
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

thomasmc and others on LMDE with mintBackup problems after upgrading python-apt to 0.8.0,

I've submitted a bug and a patch to fix the issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/795132

Still testing to make sure everything's working, but for now it looks like a fairly simple fix.
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

hozomean wrote:thomasmc and others on LMDE with mintBackup problems after upgrading python-apt to 0.8.0,

I've submitted a bug and a patch to fix the issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/795132

Still testing to make sure everything's working, but for now it looks like a fairly simple fix.
Thanks!
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marlar »

Hi,

After the recent update EncFS only works once after reboot. The next time I try to mount the encrypted volume I get this error:

$ encfs --idle=1 ~/Dropbox/.crypt ~/crypt/
EncFS password: 
fusermount: failed to access mountpoint /home/marlar/crypt: Permission denied
fuse failed.  Common problems:
 - fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
 - invalid options -- see usage message
Probably the problem has something to do with the error message from fusermount when I unmount the volume after the initial succesful mount:

fusermount -u ~/crypt/
/bin/umount: unknow flag '--fake'
Usage: umount -h | -V
       umount -a [-d] [-f] [-r] [-n] [-v] [-t vfstypes] [-O opts]
       umount [-d] [-f] [-r] [-n] [-v] special | node...
The message above puzzles me. First, why does the message refer to /bin/umount? /usr/bin/fusermount does exist and is not a symlink. Second, why on earth does is complain about a flag --fake which I have not used at all?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Return to “LMDE Archive”