LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
BostonPeng

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING - updated 15 May

Post by BostonPeng »

Love the picture of Scrat, Zero. Wholly appropriate and it gave me a smile when I saw it.
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

zerozero wrote:
deep-freeze.png

Code: Select all

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  liblensfun-data liblensfun0 libmusicbrainz5-0 librhythmbox-core6
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apache2 apache2-mpm-worker apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common argyll debconf
  debconf-i18n dictionaries-common gir1.2-rb-3.0 gnome-sushi libicc2 libimdi0 libpcsclite1
  mplayer pcscd rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-plugins ufraw-batch
20 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
regarding UP5 (and a compatible cinnamon) Clem said yesterday
@GeneC: Yes, we’ll focus on development and an LMDE update after KDE and Xfce editions are out. All improvements, including the mintMenu support for Xfce will make their way into LMDE. here
So, I guess the next UP will be in one month time (more or less).
By the way, great picture... Maybe Debian is frozen, but I can tell you that Seville is Spain is not exactly frozen (on thursday and friday it was "only" 43º C in the shade)
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

Question for all the long time Debian users (I've been on other 'flavors' since the mid-nineties but decided to give debian a shot about a year and a half ago): When Testing is frozen, what do most of you do in reference to your repo's? Move to SID or stick with testing? I've tested SID in the past but currently have all of my systems pointing to testing. I've been following the SID Breakages post also, and have been thinking about moving back to SID.

Just thought I'd get some input on what the longer debian users typically do.

Thanks!!
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@jackmetal:
I've been on Sid in the past and looked at moving back to it, but this time around I'll stick with Testing. Being in a freeze just means I won't have to worry about checking updates breaking my system before I take them for a while. I'll probably enjoy the break in that action until it thaws and just keep enjoying the KDE packages I've got now.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Jackmetal & BP i was inquiring about the same here
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@Zero:
I thought I had seen that thread but I guess not since I hadn't cast a vote yet. The funny thing is we're in a freeze but I still have updates every day, today having 33 updates.

acpi-support-base dconf-gsettings-backend dconf-service fonts-liberation
  icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea-6-jre-jamvm iproute ktorrent ktorrent-data
  ktorrent-dbg kwalletmanager libcwidget3 libdconf0 libdrm-dev libdrm-intel1
  libdrm-nouveau1a libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libept1.4.12 libjs-jquery-ui libkms1
  libktorrent-dbg libktorrent-l10n libktorrent4 libpoppler-glib8
  libpoppler-qt4-3 libpoppler19 openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless
  openjdk-6-jre-lib plasma-widget-ktorrent poppler-utils
  virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
I'm guessing those are from a different repo or something.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

BP, we are indeed in freeze 5..4..3..2..1.. :lol: but this and this means that we are not stopped :wink:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the links to help us remember why a freeze sometimes lets packages get thawed early. Who says folks running Linux never learn anything? :mrgreen:
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Plus, the purpose of the freeze is to squash bugs so you'll still get updates as packages are debugged.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Even better.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Noticed this this morning:

~$:sudo aptitude -s upgrade
Resolving dependencies...                
  gir1.2-polkit-1.0{a} 
  gufw 
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 261 kB/275 kB of archives. After unpacking 118 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.
[rant]
What's with the move to add polkit to packages? It wasn't long ago I had a system free from the policykit/consolekit mess. Now they are tying more packages to this crap? I just read in the forums elsewhere that consolekit was being phased out in favor of systemd. Great, another royal mess about to be shoved down our throats. Ugh![/rant]
bithir

Post by bithir »

Noticed this from yesterday:

~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  dconf-tools gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gnome-settings-daemon gnome-themes-standard
  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libasound2-plugins libmetacity-private0a
  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libsystemd-daemon0 libwacom-common libwacom2
  libwebrtc-audio-processing-0 metacity metacity-common pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-utils
  binfmt-support cpp cpp-4.6 desktop-base g++ g++-4.6 gcc gcc-4.6 gcc-4.6-base
  gdm3 git git-man gufw lib32v4l-0 libdbus-glib-1-2 libdbus-glib-1-dev
  libgusb2 libiptcdata0 librest-0.7-0 libstdc++6-4.6-dev libupower-glib1
  libv4l-0 libv4lconvert0 python-dbus python-dbus-dev python3.2
  python3.2-minimal upower x11-common xbase-clients xorg xserver-xorg
  xserver-xorg-input-all
33 upgraded, 17 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 56.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 32.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
I believe it is gdm3 which suddenly requires gnome-session.
Doing "apt-cache depends gdm3" it shows that gnome-session is now a direct dependency, as well as an option for "x-session-manager".

|Depends: gnome-session
 |Depends: <x-session-manager>
    gnome-session
    gnome-session-fallback
    lxsession
    openbox
    xfce4-session
I wait for a bit and see if it gets resolved, but in the meantime, anyone know of a good gdm3 replacement for xfce?
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

@bithir

You could try lightdm or mdm from the mint repo. If you try download from the cli with debian testing as the dominant repo, mdm is a totally different program, relating to math. Surprise, surprise! I was lucky to track that down using aptitude.
Bonsaii

Post by Bonsaii »

The "fixes" broke sound, again. m(

Slowly LMDE is testing my patience. :(
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

I voted Staying. I think I will use the time to make a concerted effort to learn kde. For some reason it has been harder for me than gnome-shell. Go figure.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

titetanium wrote:Noticed this this morning:
that package was updated here almost 1 month ago (not discussing the relevance of your "rant" :D because i have no data to "judge" the pkg)

Start-Date: 2012-06-11  13:19:58
Commandline: apt-get dist-upgrade
Install: distro-info-data:amd64 (0.9, automatic), libpoppler-glib8:amd64 (0.18.4-2, automatic), libpoppler19:amd64 (0.18.4-2, automatic), libdistro-info-perl:amd64 (0.9, automatic)
Upgrade: libpolkit-backend-1-0:amd64 (0.104-2, 0.105-1), libedit2:amd64 (2.11-20080614-3, 2.11-20080614-5), libwxbase2.8-0:amd64 (2.8.12.1-9, 2.8.12.1-11), gnome-session-bin:amd64 (3.4.2-1, 3.4.2.1-1), poppler-utils:amd64 (0.16.7-3, 0.18.4-2), libkpathsea6:amd64 (2012.20120516-1, 2012.20120530-2+b1), libcupsfilters1:amd64 (1.0.18-2+b1, 1.0.18-2+b2), gnome-session:amd64 (3.4.2-1, 3.4.2.1-1), gnome-session-common:amd64 (3.4.2-1, 3.4.2.1-1), usb-modeswitch-data:amd64 (20120120-1, 20120529-1), libpolkit-gobject-1-0:amd64 (0.104-2, 0.105-1), libwps-0.2-2:amd64 (0.2.6-2, 0.2.7-1), libevview3-3:amd64 (3.4.0-2, 3.4.0-2+b1), policykit-1:amd64 (0.104-2, 0.105-1), libfontconfig1-dev:amd64 (2.9.0-5, 2.9.0-6), gir1.2-polkit-1.0:amd64 (0.104-2, 0.105-1), libcolord1:amd64 (0.1.18-1, 0.1.21-1), gnome-session-fallback:amd64 (3.4.2-1, 3.4.2.1-1),
regarding gdm3, i got today as well the update to 3.4.1-2 with an error

Start-Date: 2012-07-06  12:58:49
Commandline: apt-get dist-upgrade
Upgrade: gdm3:amd64 (3.0.4-4, 3.4.1-2)
Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
End-Date: 2012-07-06  12:58:53
again mdm breaking stuff :mrgreen: as i was in a hurry, this time the fix was simple: purge mdm and dist-upgrade again; of course the overwrite error was gone.

but now i see that for older xfce installs this new gdm3 is not a great idea (because of the gnome dep it brings);

my advise: if you want to try mdm be prepared for one error similar to the one in the link above, use that force-overwrite and configure mdm after (because it is not installed and configured at first)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

With the problems with gdm3 and mdm I'd use lightdm (with the gtk greeter) if you're running Xfce. It might not be quite as pretty, but it seems to work.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

now a proper post :lol:
finally kde 4.8.4 is complete is testing

zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: deb-kde Kernel: 3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: KDE 4.8.3 (Qt 4.8.2) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: Linux Mint Debian Edition

cmake cmake-data cups-driver-gutenprint debianutils kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data
  kdelibs5-dev kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools libdbusmenu-glib4 libgutenprint2
  libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5
  libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4
  libkimproxy4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff2-4
  libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4
  libkrosscore4 libkrossui4 libktexteditor4 libkunitconversion4 libkutils4 liblapack3
  liblapack3gf libldap-2.4-2 libncurses5 libncursesw5 libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a
  libnepomukutils4 libpam-winbind libplasma3 libsmbclient libsolid4 libthreadweaver4
  libtinfo5 libwbclient0 ncurses-base ncurses-bin oxygencursors
  printer-driver-gutenprint samba samba-common samba-common-bin winbind
63 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 61.7 MB of archives.

Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 (Qt 4.8.2) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: Linux Mint Debian Edition
please check if nepomuk/strigi is working properly (was buggy when 4.8.4 entered sid)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

zerozero wrote:now a proper post :lol:
finally kde 4.8.4 is complete is testing

Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 (Qt 4.8.2) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: Linux Mint Debian Edition
Hot diggity! I'll delay my watching last night's Dodgers game and get my upgrade done first. (Thank Tux for apt-fast, making the actual upgrade process faster.)
zerozero wrote:please check if nepomuk/strigi is working properly (was buggy when 4.8.4 entered sid)
I'll make sure I check when I restart KDE. Thanks for giving KDE users such great news this Sunday morning!
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Major problem after today's upgrades. Don't remember what got upgraded but it was around 100 packages and needed a reboot to finish the task. When I did a reboot it hung up at my bootsplash, and when I hit Alt-F2 I saw a login prompt. I logged in and tried manually running plasma-desktop and got an error saying "Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11. I reached in my bag for my thumb drives with Mint on them only to find they're not in the bag anymore so I'm at my local library trying to get things working.

I also tried running startx and got a fatal error saying "no screens found." I did some hunting online but can't find anything to resolve my problem. Help! (Being at my library I now have less than an hour online so I'm also in a bit of a time crunch. Sorry for the rush order.)

ETA: I found where the apt log is and called it up. Today's dist-upgrade included linux-headers and linux-image upgrades (I'd type a list but it's realy hard to do looking at my laptop and typing on this Windows system). Not sure if that helps but I wanted to post it since I found it. Also, I have no network so installing anything is going to be impossible. I know, I can't make it easy, can I. I wish I could. :(

Return to “LMDE Archive”