LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mfs

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 july 2011

Post by mfs »

By now, the fixed nvidia drivers got into the incoming repo, so it will be in latest soon, I suppose.
yaye

Post by yaye »

mfs wrote:By now, the fixed nvidia drivers got into the incoming repo, so it will be in latest soon, I suppose.
At the moment, the fixed driver (nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx) for my nVidia card is still in Sid. It hasn't made into Testing yet.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

yaye wrote:
mfs wrote:By now, the fixed nvidia drivers got into the incoming repo, so it will be in latest soon, I suppose.
At the moment, the fixed driver (nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx) for my nVidia card is still in Sid. It hasn't made into Testing yet.
Unfortunately, for those running older hardware, the legacy drivers will most likely be taken care of last. The most up-to-date drivers get the first attention as far as bug fixes and moving into testing is concerned. It would be nice if they could work on all driver versions at the same time but it doesn't work that way (too bad too). :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
yaye

Post by yaye »

kmb42vt wrote:Unfortunately, for those running older hardware, the legacy drivers will most likely be taken care of last. The most up-to-date drivers get the first attention as far as bug fixes and moving into testing is concerned. It would be nice if they could work on all driver versions at the same time but it doesn't work that way (too bad too). :)
I took care of it myself. :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

worst, the driver was removed from testing on the 19th, and i can't find the reason;
didn't make it yet into testing, and as you say, is only available in sid

http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing- ... 00029.html

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... glx-legacy
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

zerozero wrote:worst, the driver was removed from testing on the 19th, and i can't find the reason;

ah,,,
one more reason to use smxi/sgfxi for nVidia, and let it install directly from nVidia source?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yes, smxi/sgfxi are great tools, wayne
the debian way usually works very well too, but we have to remember that testing is a fast moving target, and what is true today may not be tomorrow.
Chris M

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 2 july 2011

Post by Chris M »

kruijf wrote:I found the problem of youtube over here, its not a flash problem.
Its a problem whit youtube it self, whit vimeo.com the vids are working fine also whit other sites.
Until recently, I had no problem. And like you, it does not happen for all video playback. The vimeo site works fine. CNBC videos work fine. Even Frontline videos work fine.

Jordan at This Week in Linux moved his videos off youtube and onto his site. Same problem there as with youtube.

To be specific, video stops dead, but audio keeps moving along.

If you move the web page in your browser, the video goes again, but then stops as the sound rolls on.

I'm using a 3+ year old Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with integrated Intel graphics, Intel everything else - chipset, and 4 gigs of good ram.

Like I said, this is a new situation. I followed Clem's advice, and still no go. And the linked advice about sound wasn't applicable.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
yaye

Post by yaye »

zerozero wrote:worst, the driver was removed from testing on the 19th, and i can't find the reason;

I saved the original sources.list as sources.list.testing then I created a sources.list with only sid main contrib non-free .
I did an update and installed the 173xx version of the nvidia-glx-legacy package. After the dependencies and the package were installed, I was surprised to see the system immediately switch to graphics mode, no reboot needed.

I currently have sources.list , sources.list.testing , sources.list.sid and sources.list.incoming in /etc/apt/ . If I'm at the command line again, I can pull up the one I need with nano and save it as the new sources.list . I'm currently using the "incoming" version.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I've updated with LMDE update-pack #2 on my Acer Aspire One without any problems. (Intel Graphics). But I wonder if I also should include the ignored python2.7 now??

/Sven

Edit: I must have made some kind of mistake upon a time, I removed the strange "ignore", updated, and nothing happen, it's all OK. :oops:
Thanks anyway. :D
Last edited by tux-sven on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helmsdeeper

Post by Helmsdeeper »

I'd hold off 2.7 right now and stick with 2.6.6-14.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Updated yesterday, no holds set. Python version 2.6.7-1 came in. No problems with it here.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE Broke GUI, command line only with nVidia GTX460

Post by SunWorks »

Hello,
My setup is as such:
  • GeForce GTX460
  • Dell Inspiron 530 Tower
  • Intel Quad-Core CPU
  • 6gb Ram
  • LMDE-64
  • Wireless Internet connection
  • SGFXI installed nVidia driver
I apologize if the exact solution I need has already been posted... I tried to read through the posts, but did not find what I am looking for.

Couple weeks ago, was in the middle of updating LMDR-64 and it broke... now I can only get to a command prompt login.
How do I get the driver back and the display back?

I am hoping that after I establish a wireless internet connection, issuing the command:
sgfxi -d
and running through the options will bring back a good nVidia driver and fix the GUI.

But how do I establish a wireless internet connection from the command line? and verify it works?
The ESSID of the network is "SUN"

I've got an incredibly slow dial-up connection, so would prefer not having to re-download the driver. Is there a specific part of a text file (I forget the name of that configuration file for the x desktop) that I can change the screen and specs for in order to restore the nVidia driver?

Like boot up with a LiveDVD, then access this configuration file and restore?

Recommendations are appreciated... if I need to post this in another section I apologize.

I just want to:
  • Restore my desktop
  • Not do a total reinstall.
  • Understand how to not have this happen again.
THANK YOU!
Clinton
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

"was in the middle of updating LMDR-64 and it broke"

SunWorks, you have to be a bit more specific, since this is the cause of your problem. Define 'broke', define 'it'.

Did the upgrade complete, without errors? Did you then do something else, after it was broken?

When apt 'breaks' you have to fix it before doing anything else, since you will only make it worse if it's broken.

Again, define 'broke'.

Did you simply need to reinstall the video driver, which you always need to do when xorg updates, not sure about the debian packages there, maybe they don't require that, not sure. There's a massive range covered by 'it broke' which is all the way from totally trivial to really difficult.

If the upgrade failed to complete, then you have to get it to finish, before doing anything else. what happens when you run: apt-get install -f

paste in the code, or copy the key error text. You can do a lot in terminal by the way, but if you not even getting past a fully broken shell, and are just in a restricted busybox emergency recovery shell, you probably might as well give up I'd say.

If apt-get install -f
returns a 'command not found' error, then you are in busybox recovery shell.

what happens if you run: apt-get upgrade?

If the upgrade broke while configuring the new packages, you will have to run dpkg-reconfigure on the upgrade, but avoid doing that until you know what you actually did, and what broke.

The way you can avoid this is: don't upgrade in X, don't fail to write down the error messages apt gives you. Or just don't upgrade at all and consider your install as static, not rolling, then just reinstall every year or so, which works fine too.

Lots of ways of avoiding such issues, but ignoring apt breakages and doing other things without knowing what happened rarely makes it better, and usually makes it worse.

The first step to avoiding such issues is learning how to operate outside the gui, and using networking tools that do not drop your connection when you leave X. You can configure some tools to not do that if you change a setting, but I dont' remember the details, that should be default in all distros, especially newbie oriented ones by the way, to avoid exactly these types of issues.

To raise your connection, if you for example update inxi with: inxi -U
then run: inxi -n
you will see the Interface number/id of your networking card. If you then run: ifup wlan1 (assuming its interface id is wlan1, of course), it should connect if the information is in the system. If it's only in network manager, you have to do more stuff, which is again, why the default configuration for lmde is not a very good one if maintaining the system safely and reliably is the goal. Too much gui is not a good thing on rolling release sad to say, many is the time I've dipped into console to do everything, including fixing issues.
Chris M

Re: LMDE Broke GUI, command line only with nVidia GTX460

Post by Chris M »

SunWorks wrote:I am hoping that after I establish a wireless internet connection, issuing the command:
sgfxi -d
and running through the options will bring back a good nVidia driver and fix the GUI.

But how do I establish a wireless internet connection from the command line? and verify it works?

I just want to:
  • Restore my desktop
  • Not do a total reinstall.
  • Understand how to not have this happen again.
I tried doing the sgfxi script with a wireless adapter. I lost my connection, and didn't know enough to establish it at the command line. Maybe h2-1's last solution will work for you. But a hardwired connection is the way to go, if that's possible.

Go here for a potential quick fix: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p442887

and see Neck's post:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf 
sudo reboot
If you still have the free nouveau driver installed, that may at least get you back to a GUI.
c.monty

Post by c.monty »

Hello!

I was also affected by the broken Nvidia driver after upgrading the system.

Reading through this thread I followed these steps to resolve this issue:
1. Uninstall all existing packages belonging to Nvidia and xserver: apt-get remove nvidia* xserver*
2. Block files libgl1-mesa-glx and libglu1-mesa in MintUpdate Preferences
3. Install Nvidia Legacy 173xx drivers from sid: apt-get install -t sid libglx-nvidia-alternatives libgl1-nvidia-legacy-173xx-glx
4. Run nvidia-xconfig
Step 3 installes all dependent packages belonging to the Nvidia driver, e.g. nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx package, including xserver-common.

No the issue with the graphic driver is resolved, means gdm3 is starting up again and I can login to the GUI.
However, neither mouse nor keyboard are working.

I reset the machine again and boot into recovery mode.
There I execute nvidia-bug-report.sh to generate a file containing all relevant information.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see the following error:

[   784.217] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[   784.217] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[   784.217] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[   784.217] (II) Unloading evdev
[   784.217] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   784.217] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
[   784.221] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
[   784.221] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[   784.221] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[   784.222] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[   784.222] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[   784.222] (II) Unloading evdev
[   784.222] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   784.222] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
[   784.224] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA Intel Headphone (/dev/input/event5)
[   784.224] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[   784.231] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver (/dev/input/event0)
[   784.231] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[   784.231] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[   784.231] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[   784.231] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[   784.231] (II) Unloading evdev
[   784.231] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   784.231] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
[   784.232] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver (/dev/input/event1)
[   784.232] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[   784.232] (**) Logitech USB Receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[   784.232] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[   784.232] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[   784.232] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[   784.232] (II) Unloading evdev
[   784.233] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   784.233] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
I have no clue why xserver wants to load evdev driver.
In older logs, e.g. /var/log/Xorg.1.log, this driver is not loaded.

My xorg.conf is this:

*** /etc/X11/xorg.conf
*** ls: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 978 2011-07-28 23:35:25.041867679 +0200 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen         "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "de"
    Option "XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load            "glx"
EndSection
Is this related to the xorg-server version?
How can I fix this problem?

Complete nvidia-bug-report is attached.

THX
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

@c.monty, it seems to be a udev error.

try the following:

Boot the recovery mode. In the terminal do:

telinit 5
You should have a working system now. Open the terminal and run:

ls -l /etc/rc*.d/*udev*
if you get something like this:

# ls -l /etc/rc*.d/*udev*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc0.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc0.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc1.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc1.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 23. Aug 22:06 /etc/rc2.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 13. Sep 22:28 /etc/rc2.d/S02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc3.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc3.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc4.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc4.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 20. Sep 21:47 /etc/rc5.d/S02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 20. Sep 23:33 /etc/rc5.d/S13udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19  4. Jul 23:27 /etc/rc6.d/K01udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 29. Jun 21:39 /etc/rc6.d/K02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 24. Feb 2010  /etc/rcS.d/S02udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 25. Feb 2010  /etc/rcS.d/S13udev-mtab -> ../init.d/udev-mtab
delete all the udev links from rc0 - rc6. Don't touch rcS.d, it's needed like it is.
c.monty

Post by c.monty »

@Gerd50

How do you assess the error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log compared to older log /var/log/Xorg.1.log?

Thanks
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Hi c.monty,

i don't know whether the error is reported in a log. The only way i know is checking the /etc/rc.d's whether there are changes like that in
my description above.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

I'm not sure if this goes here, but I noticed that after updating to update pack 2 with all the xserver stuff?, my system/laptop doesn't reboot all the way down to the cmos level....it just goes out of the OS, to black screen textboot process, then back into LMDE....also?...my lcd screen glitches when opening and/or changing between windows or opening anything like dropdown screen from FF when looking for or through favorites. Let me know if this goes someplace else...thank you for listening.

Cheers
Andrew

Return to “LMDE Archive”