LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneC

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 april 2011

Post by GeneC »

More "gstreamer" problems.

I was going to hold back some of todays "gstreamer" updates in my LMDE "testing" install.

THESE

because I had suspected them in breaking "Apple quicktime trailers in full screen mode" in my other "SID" test partition.
(This is a TEST that I do after video upgrades)
All video works fine, Apple trailers NOT in full screen work fine,
in full screen the used to work fine, now get this

After holding them back, still worked fine in full screen.
I then updated them also, and sure as heck it broke in my Standard "testing" as well.

Not a big deal, I am sure it will be fixed in future updates, but frustrating when an "UPDATE" seemingly does no benefit, but does harm.
To my view there are way too many "incremental" updates in LMDE.
I, for one, really look forward to the "snapshot" updating method being talked about by the devs.
I dont mind having to play around with breakages on my SID install (its expected, and interesting in finding fixes), but in a mainstream edition like LMDE "testing", way to many updates compared to Mint 10, for example.

--------------------

I have been playing with "NATTY" for the past day, and after getting away from that awful "UNITY" DE (I boot into Ubuntu Classic, now). Its good. Looking forward to Mint 11
wangsuda

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 29 april 2011

Post by wangsuda »

zerozero wrote:eventually, if

Code: Select all

gstreamer0.10-plugins-good (0.10.24-1) to 0.10.28-3
appears in yours updates today in MU and it is set to levels 1-3, it has to be unchecked in the first round of updates, or it will try ti uninstall pidgin, its libs, mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-debian;

apply all other updates and then reopen MU and apply this one;
Tried that - it still wants to remove everything. I am holding off on that update.
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

appears in yours updates today in MU and it is set to levels 1-3, it has to be unchecked in the first round of updates, or it will try ti uninstall pidgin, its libs, mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-debian;

Tried with MintUpdate and Synaptic with the same result: plugins.good (as above) still wants to remove

gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad
mint-meta-codecs
mint-meta-debian

Apart from Liquorix I don't have any shady repos enabled but maybe some of them are still running behind or out of reach. I'll wait a while before officially panicking. :wink:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Is this not further evidence that LMDE should not be run with level 1-3 updates?

Here is my update log from this morning;
Commit Log for Fri Apr 29 09:35:33 2011
Upgraded the following packages:
alsa-base (1.0.23+dfsg-2) to 1.0.23+dfsg-3
alsa-utils (1.0.23-3) to 1.0.23-4
avahi-daemon (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
cups (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
cups-bsd (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
cups-client (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
cups-common (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
cups-ppdc (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
gstreamer0.10-esd (0.10.24-1) to 0.10.28-3
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad (0.10.19-2.1) to 0.10.21-4+b1
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio (0.10.24-1) to 0.10.28-3
gstreamer0.10-tools (0.10.32-6) to 0.10.32-6+b1
libasound2 (1.0.23-2.1) to 1.0.23-3
libasound2-plugins (1.0.23-1+b1) to 1.0.23-2
libavahi-client3 (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libavahi-common-data (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libavahi-common3 (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libavahi-core7 (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libavahi-glib1 (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libavahi-gobject0 (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libavahi-ui0 (0.6.29-1) to 0.6.30-2
libcups2 (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
libcupscgi1 (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
libcupsdriver1 (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
libcupsimage2 (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
libcupsmime1 (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
libcupsppdc1 (1.4.6-4) to 1.4.6-5
libffi5 (3.0.9-3) to 3.0.9-4
libgphoto2-2 (2.4.10.1-5) to 2.4.11-2
libgphoto2-l10n (2.4.10.1-5) to 2.4.11-2
libgphoto2-port0 (2.4.10.1-5) to 2.4.11-2
libgstreamer0.10-0 (0.10.32-6) to 0.10.32-6+b1
libimobiledevice1 (1.0.4-2) to 1.0.6-2
liborc-0.4-0 (1:0.4.11-2) to 1:0.4.13-1
libruby1.8 (1.8.7.334-3) to 1.8.7.334-4
libservlet2.5-java (6.0.32-2) to 6.0.32-3
linux-sound-base (1.0.23+dfsg-2) to 1.0.23+dfsg-3
python-pkg-resources (0.6.15-1) to 0.6.15-2
ruby (4.7) to 4.8
ruby1.8 (1.8.7.334-3) to 1.8.7.334-4
ttf-lyx (2.0.0~rc1-1) to 2.0.0~rc3-2
xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.14.0-4) to 2:2.15.0-1
As you can see all updates installed properly and nothing was removed and I can't find anything broken yet, levels 1-5.

As an aside the removal is meta packages is not a problem in fact it is just beneficial, once they have been run they just take up space needlessly. However I will admit that it is not really the job of gstreamer plugins to act as a system clean up tool :lol:
papakaz

Post by papakaz »

I've got a thread in the newbie section here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p415171

The problem seems to be associated with gconf... One of my user accounts has the contents of my home directory appearing on the desktop, and furthermore the nautilus bookmark for "desktop" brings me to the home directory.

I originally thought it was because of some updates -- but that was before the other user logged on and showed me that the second account doesn't have that problem.

Also the clock is not retaining the location between sessions (even after "set" and entering password) -- which I am made to understand could be related. Unlike the desktop problem the clock problem is for both accounts.

Thank you for your kind consideration.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

papakaz wrote: Also the clock is not retaining the location between sessions (even after "set" and entering password) -- which I am made to understand could be related. Unlike the desktop problem the clock problem is for both accounts.
This is a currently known problem with LMDE but the fix is rather easy. Open Synaptic, search for and install NTP (Network Time Protocol daemon). Once installed open Mint menu and in the search bar type in NTP. Once you've opened the NTP window set your locale settings and save (it's pretty obvious). Once this is done go to your tray and open your clock preferences and save your current time again (even if it's the correct time) and you're done. LMDE will retain the correct time through sessions and reboots.

Worked for me as well as others. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

viking777 wrote:Is this not further evidence that LMDE should not be run with level 1-3 updates?
yeahh but i think ours is a lost war viking :lol:
at the same time i was having that issue with MU, synaptic would install everything without any problem;
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
viking777 wrote:Is this not further evidence that LMDE should not be run with level 1-3 updates?
yeahh but i think ours is a lost war viking :lol:
at the same time i was having that issue with MU, synaptic would install everything without any problem;
<sigh> I've been pushing not using MU to update LMDE (yet) for quite awhile now without much success. I bang shoe on table--nobody listen! (if you know what I'm speaking of--I wouldn't admit it. You'd be dating yourself badly) :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: i wasn't born yet :lol:
but yes you are part of our shoe-banging club aswell, kmb42vt 8)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Although members the Honorary Society of Shoe-Bangers will already be aware of this (it is written into our constitution :lol: ) - for the benefit of those newer users that aren't aware, it is perfectly OK to use Mintupdate for all your updating needs on LMDE providing you enable levels 4 and 5. It then behaves almost exactly the same as synaptic or apt-get. It can't protect you against updates that cause something to not work on your machine, but then neither can the other two programs. Your problem is that in attempting to protect yourself from such occurrences with the use of 'levels' you are actually causing more problems for yourself than you are protecting against.

Although it has been said before many times, I will repeat it, the levels system was not designed for a rolling release distro, it was designed for Mint main and just ported to LMDE unchanged. Clem is working on a way to add the same 'protection' to LMDE that 'levels' afford to Mint main, but that system will not be in place until after the release of Mint 11 because the preparation of that release will (I guess) be occupying most of his time for the next few weeks.

So if you are just starting out with LMDE it would be a good idea to enable levels 4 and 5 in mintupdate and continue like that until the 'snapshot' system is in place. However if you have been using MU with levels 1-3 only for some time then it is probably not a good idea to switch on 4 and 5 because you will introduce an awful lot of new stuff at once which might cause problems for you. Maybe this group would be best to just soldier on with these strange update errors until the 'snapshot' system is in place.

Of course if you learn how to use Clonezilla you can try out whatever experiments you like with impunity :D

As a level 1-5 (or synaptic) user from the very first day of LMDE, I can't honestly say that you are missing out on anything life changing by only using 1-3, but you are creating your own instabilities which needn't be there.
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

^To add to the above - I have been doing updates 1-5 since installation and have had no problems. LMDE runs great on acer laptops.
papakaz

Post by papakaz »

Thanks to kmb42vt for the clock fix. I will try it soon. And since I only recently switched to LMDE, I'll go ahead and enable levels 4 and 5. I'm no linux guru, but I've broken things enough times to know that breaking things isn't always a bad thing.
wangsuda

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 30 april 2011

Post by wangsuda »

^LOL - breaking things can be fun!
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

Just received the latest updates that take the Xfce desktop to 4.8. Everything worked well, except both the standard menu and the Xfce menu were a bit jumbled (everything out of order). the gnome menu works fine. Sorry, I cannot trace the update that did it.
aeternal

Post by aeternal »

GeneC wrote:More "gstreamer" problems.

I was going to hold back some of todays "gstreamer" updates in my LMDE "testing" install.

THESE

because I had suspected them in breaking "Apple quicktime trailers in full screen mode" in my other "SID" test partition.
(This is a TEST that I do after video upgrades)
All video works fine, Apple trailers NOT in full screen work fine,
in full screen the used to work fine, now get this

After holding them back, still worked fine in full screen.
I then updated them also, and sure as heck it broke in my Standard "testing" as well.

Not a big deal, I am sure it will be fixed in future updates, but frustrating when an "UPDATE" seemingly does no benefit, but does harm.
To my view there are way too many "incremental" updates in LMDE.
I, for one, really look forward to the "snapshot" updating method being talked about by the devs.
I dont mind having to play around with breakages on my SID install (its expected, and interesting in finding fixes), but in a mainstream edition like LMDE "testing", way to many updates compared to Mint 10, for example.

--------------------

I have been playing with "NATTY" for the past day, and after getting away from that awful "UNITY" DE (I boot into Ubuntu Classic, now). Its good. Looking forward to Mint 11

isn't this related to repository? I had a similar problem and it was actually because of gstreamer

I found in VLC forum that there is some kind of conflict. Before I couldn't run any video. VLC, Gnome player, etc no way to make it work correctly.

Remove VLC, then open

/etc/apt/sources.list.
and delete the line:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
(or make it comment by adding a # before it, it works as well)

Then simply run a

sudo apt-get update
and reinstall VLC

sudo apt-get install vlc
and it works fine. Don't know if it helps
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

aeternal wrote:
GeneC wrote:More "gstreamer" problems.

isn't this related to repository? I had a similar problem and it was actually because of gstreamer

I found in VLC forum that there is some kind of conflict. Before I couldn't run any video. VLC, Gnome player, etc no way to make it work correctly.

Remove VLC, then open

/etc/apt/sources.list.
and delete the line:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
(or make it comment by adding a # before it, it works as well)

Then simply run a

sudo apt-get update
and reinstall VLC

sudo apt-get install vlc
and it works fine. Don't know if it helps
Tried your suggestion.
Didn't work!
I didn't think it would as it seemed to have nothing to do with gstreamer.

Apple Trailers plays in "Totem" (Totem Movie Player 2.30.2 -- Movie Player using GStreamer 0.10.32)
Thanks for trying though!
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I had a problem with my update this morning and have tracked it down to cpp-4.4, cpp-4.5 and curl. I updated all the others having delisted the previously mentioned but after the update only curl is now showing as being available to update. I am using MU settings 1-3 because out of ignorance I started back in December with this method and when I try to update settings 4 & 5 it breaks my system and I have not been able to isolate the problem.

I would very much like to upgrade the correct way but until we get a respin I do not want to re-install and then the massive update.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

So how can I accomplish this with apt-get or synaptic? I removed mint-update because I thought it was not safe to use with LMDE?? Has this issue been fixed?? Gstreamer has been causing errors with apt-get dist-upgrade for the last few days.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just before i did the update with MU, i simulated with synaptic and all was fine; but as i was in my test partition (where i only use MU levels 1-3) i canceled the update in synaptic and went to MU to hunt down the issue; so i assume synaptic will install fine for you :)

and later edit: if you don't use MU, don't bother to use it now, it's still not ready :mrgreen:
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

and later edit: if you don't use MU, don't bother to use it now, it's still not ready
I've felt that it's not ready for some time now:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=70769

Today, I installed LMDE from scratch....(I mean "from scratch" starting from the 2011 32bit respin.)
Then I activated all 5 levels in MU.

Almost 1,000 updates now....WOW!

Everything was going along quite well in the "installing updates" phase until it got to gdm3....and then everything just stopped. I waited ~15 minutes, and nothing.

I cancelled MU, restarted the computer, and clicked again on MU. I got a pop-up saying something about dpkg, and was prompted to enter a dpkg command (don't remember exactly what...but dpkg -a or something like it?) into a terminal to continue my installation.

After I did as instructed, then the installation continued perfectly. Except that the kexec-tools is still present....and I had to uninstall it manually through synaptic. (I thought this was fixed earlier from forum postings?!?!)

Being in the mood for punishment, I started the whole thing over AGAIN.
And the second attempt, was an exact copy of what you've been reading... with the installation MU stopping at the gdm3....

So, Yes, I agree, there is much more work to do on Mint Update.

Return to “LMDE Archive”