Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
resuni

Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code

Post by resuni »

Whenever I try to run an apt-get command, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Preconfiguring packages ...
Setting up util-linux (2.17.2-9.1) ...
insserv: script virtualbox-ose: service vboxdrv already provided!
insserv: script virtualbox-ose: service virtualbox-ose already provided!
insserv: warning: script 'tentacle_serverd' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: There is a loop between service mediatomb and tentacle_serverd if stopped
insserv:  loop involving service tentacle_serverd at depth 2
insserv:  loop involving service mediatomb at depth 1
insserv: Stopping tentacle_serverd depends on mediatomb and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing util-linux (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 util-linux
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
That's when I try to run apt-get upgrade. I get similar errors when I try to install packages as well. What do I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code

Post by vincent »

sudo dpkg --configure -a
resuni

Post by resuni »

# dpkg --configure -a
insserv: There is a loop between service mediatomb and tentacle_serverd if stopped
insserv: Stopping tentacle_serverd depends on mediatomb and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
 util-linux
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

Have you installed or updated Virtual box lately? Seems like something is trying to replace a service that is running or already exists.
insserv: loop involving service tentacle_serverd at depth 2
insserv: loop involving service mediatomb at depth 1
The system does not like something about the install of MediaTomb and Tentacle. I don't know anything about these two programs, you may get better results if you check their sites for help. The part about the LSB tags has to do with a script that tentacle installed (probably in /etc/init.d/) Its not formatted properly. I would suggest removing these two programs and see if the errors clear up.
Not sure what this one is about.

Edited to fix some typo's
resuni

Post by resuni »

I don't even know what Tentacle is. I tried removing it but it said there was no 'tentacle' installed. So I try removing MediaTomb and I get pretty much the same error:

$ sudo apt-get remove mediatomb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package mediatomb is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 532 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
configured to not write apport reports
 util-linux
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Also, I did get the latest Debian Squeeze deb package from virtualbox.org and successfully installed it using GDebi, but I'm still getting the same error from virtualbox-ose. I guess I'll have to uninstall that as well. But how am I going to uninstall these packages without dpkg?
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Something might need to be done about that util-linux-package, then. This isn't looking very good - it seems to be a system-critical package. What do you have in /var/cache/apt? (Note that the archive-subfolder is your package archive - it'll contain as many packages as your storage rules allow.) I'm hoping we can remove the package-file itself, and that this will stop apt/dpkg from trying to configure it, until the situation is sorted.

The only reference to any tentacle I could find outside of ScummVM (Day of the Tentacle FTW) was in medussa - and then it was not a server-daemon. I'm pretty sure that daemon is what's causing this problem. If you can remove whatever is providing this tentacle_serverd (as well as mediatomb), it might do the trick.
resuni

Post by resuni »

Silent Warrior wrote:Something might need to be done about that util-linux-package, then. This isn't looking very good - it seems to be a system-critical package. What do you have in /var/cache/apt? (Note that the archive-subfolder is your package archive - it'll contain as many packages as your storage rules allow.) I'm hoping we can remove the package-file itself, and that this will stop apt/dpkg from trying to configure it, until the situation is sorted.

The only reference to any tentacle I could find outside of ScummVM (Day of the Tentacle FTW) was in medussa - and then it was not a server-daemon. I'm pretty sure that daemon is what's causing this problem. If you can remove whatever is providing this tentacle_serverd (as well as mediatomb), it might do the trick.
Is util-linux an important package? I don't want to remove it and not be able to use my computer anymore.
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

Tentacle-server = some type of ftp server
media-tomb = UPnP Media server

Have you installed some type of media server or something?

As far as vbox, it looks like it is trying to install the services, but they are already running. Try the following command:

sudo service --status-all
and see if the two Vbox services are running.

util-linux = (as per synaptic)
"This package contains a number of important utilities, most of which are oriented towards maintenance of your system. Some of the more important utilities included in this package allow you to partition your hard disk, view kernel messages, and create new filesystems."
It was installed by default on my LMDE. I would not recommend deleting it.
Hopefully someone with better knowledge of util-linux can explain why its throwing the error. Maybe it has to do with the other errors. Try fixing the others first and see if the util-linux error fixes itself.
resuni

Post by resuni »

LongRider wrote:Try fixing the others first and see if the util-linux error fixes itself.
No, I can't do that because I need dpkg to remove the three packages giving me problems. Should I just go in and delete those package files? Something about that sounds dangerous to me.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Just noticed the util-linux-update is listed as 'incomplete' - that might mean that you can remove that particular package, with luck unblocking dpkg again. Um, you might want to take the precaution to read the instructions, get up and walk around the room two laps, read them again, get up and walk around the room again, then sit back down and read the instructions AGAIN, and THEN perform them. :) Just in case. This isn't a system critical directory, but I don't think you'll enjoy any consequences of messing up, or mistyping, that kind of thing.
Now, since I don't actually have anything incompletely installed, I won't be able to give you a sure-fire instruction, but as I recall, packages are stored in /var/cache/apt, possibly in a subdirectory - NOT archive (/var/cache/apt/archive)! (I'll play it safe and tell you that this is the package cache - it has nothing to do with what's installed/available for install or not. /var/cache/apt is the second safest place in your system to remove .debs from.)
cd /var/cache/apt
ls
----
Did this report any other subdirectories than archives, and possibly apt-file (as it does for me)? If so, enter that directory/those directories. Wherever you see util-linux[version-string].deb listed, remove it.
sudo rm util-linux*.deb

Now try to do something about that Tentacle and Media-tomb. Any luck?
xircon

Post by xircon »

First step - use the broken package filter in synaptic to identify the broken package and uninstall it.

Then report back.

Steve
mkaut

Post by mkaut »

I had a very similar problem, after upgrading to service pack 4. Had problems with package "virtualbox", could not be configured, the error message from dpkg was:

The culprit turned out to be virtualbox-4.0, which I had uninstalled, but not "completely" (removal vs. complete removal in Synaptic).

You could therefore try to look at packages marked as "residual config" (or something like that, do not have any at the moment) in Synaptic, you find them by choosing "Status" in the lower-left corner of the Synaptic window. If you find any virtual-box related package, do a complete removal on it - I found virtualbox-4.0, removed it, and the error messages went away..

(I do not understand why dpkg believes that an uninstalled package is providing a service, but that is a different issue..)

Return to “LMDE Archive”