LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GregE

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) - Jun 14th

Post by GregE »

Regulus74 wrote:I converted my system to multiarch, I removed all lib32* packages and ia32-libs then I installed Skype i386 (amd64 version required ia32-libs)...57 packages installed :shock: :mrgreen: but no ia32-libs or lib32* packages. 8)
Hi Regulus, that is good news. I checked back through my downloads and I also added the 32bit install deb downloaded from Skype, not the amd64 one as I said above. My Canon 32bit printer drivers installed correctly as well. Only Google Earth tried to wreck everything.

The lesson for us all is not to use GDebi to install 32bit debs (which I did with Google Earth), but open a terminal and see what an install wants to do before proceeding - but then that is a good rule for all Sid users

:)
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

GregE wrote: not to use GDebi
I guess you must mean the GUI version of GDebi. I always run GDebi in a terminal (based on the gdebi-core package), which gives all the warnings about dependencies and so on.
GregE

Post by GregE »

Brian49 wrote:
GregE wrote: not to use GDebi
I guess you must mean the GUI version of GDebi. I always run GDebi in a terminal (based on the gdebi-core package), which gives all the warnings about dependencies and so on.
Thanks Brian, yes I did mean the gui version. I have always used dpkg and apt-get from a terminal, but I might try gdebi for my next manual install. One of those things. I have been using Debian and derivatives for ten years and never thought of using gdebi like that. When dpkg failed on a dependency I just fixed it with apt-get -f install. Habits.
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

A FIX report for once. The latest upgrades to xorg / xorg-video-intel finally solved the nagging issue of frequent but intermittent issue of getting a blank fb screen with a _ cursor instead of KDM/GDM login screen.
ericcc65

Post by ericcc65 »

Anybody else out there running xfce from experimental? I've been doing so for a few months probably now and everything's been fine, until recently. It turns out that I installed the xfce4 package from experimental, which is a meta package that gave me 4.10 and all the associated base packages. But I also installed xfce4-goodies, which it looks like came from unstable and is at 4.8.2 (it doesn't exist in experimental). It's been working fine, but lately all of those packages are wanting to be updated (for example, orage from 4.8.3-1 to 4.8.3-1+b1). That shouldn't be a problem except they now have a dependency on the panel and other associated packages being < 4.9. Here is the message:

Code: Select all

orage:
  Depends: xfce4-panel (<4.9) but 4.10.0-1 is to be installed
I don't see any way around this except downgrading. The odd thing is all of these packages have been working fine, it's like someone added a dependency that didn't need to be there.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

ericcc65 - I noticed something similar when an update to xfce4-mixer came through recently. My preference is to pin such auxiliary packages and keep Xfce 4.10, at least until the developers of the auxiliary packages catch up with the latest Xfce.
Last edited by Brian49 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Todays' xorg updates boots Gnome Shell into fallback mode.
Had to re-install Nvidia via sgxfi.

Commit Log for Thu Jul 19 06:59:18 2012

Upgraded the following packages:

live-boot (3.0~a35-1) to 3.0~a36-1
live-boot-initramfs-tools (3.0~a35-1) to 3.0~a36-1
xnest (2:1.12.1.902-1) to 2:1.12.3-1
xserver-common (2:1.12.1.902-1) to 2:1.12.3-1
xserver-xephyr (2:1.12.1.902-1) to 2:1.12.3-1
xserver-xorg-core (2:1.12.1.902-1) to 2:1.12.3-1
==================

EDIT:
Confirmed on LMDE/XFCE/SID partition
Need to re-install Nvidia
Regulus74

Post by Regulus74 »

GeneC wrote:Todays' xorg updates boots Gnome Shell into fallback mode.
Had to re-install Nvidia via sgxfi.
Here all xorg updates work fine without to reinstall Nvidia drivers. Debian sid and gnome-shell
GeneC

microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin

Post by GeneC »

Anyone seeing this error on boot?
I just started seeing it in LMDE/SID

System:    Host zordon Kernel 3.4.0-4.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
You need to install

amd64-microcode 
Its in the Debian SID repos.

Before

gene@zordon:~$ dmesg | grep micro 
microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.00 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba
After

gene@zordon:~$ dmesg | grep micro
microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU0: new patch_level=0x010000c8
microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU1: new patch_level=0x010000c8
microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU2: new patch_level=0x010000c8
microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x010000b6
microcode: CPU3: new patch_level=0x010000c8
microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.00 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba
Reference:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... ic&p=15202
GregE

A Complication witjh Liquorix and Wine

Post by GregE »

https://plus.google.com/112285086130900700155/posts

Steve has added Wine packages for Debian Sid into the same repository as his kernel packages. So if you are a Liquorix kernel user you now have up to date Wine 1.5.9 available.

If, like me, you are a 64bit user who has converted to multi-arch then this is a ticket to dependency hell. I have removed Liquorix from my system, but that is only necessary for multi-arch users who also have Wine installed.

If you are a normal single arch user then the Liquorix repository is an easy way to install and keep updated the latest Wine. Apparently there is some issue with the Debian packages and proprietary video drivers, so these packages also fix that. I use Intel graphics so I do not suffer the problem. Eventually the ia32-libs will disappear and this approach to Wine for 64bit will no longer work, but that could be a year or two into the future.

:)
zerozero

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) - Jul 19th

Post by zerozero »

Greg, unfortunately that wine pkg is not a proper debian build http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 21&start=0
GregE

Post by GregE »

zerozero wrote:Greg, unfortunately that wine pkg is not a proper debian build http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 21&start=0
Thanks ZZ, luckily when I saw it in my update I looked first to see what was happening and removed Liquorix. I could have just pinned the repo down to keep the kernel, and I probably will in the future. For now I am using 3.4 from experimental and have no issues with my setup.

I would expect that Liquorix will fix the dependency issues and make 1.5.9 available to Sid users, even if they are repackaged Ubuntu debs.

I will be sticking with the Debian Multi-arch Debs even though they are a version behind.
GregE

Post by GregE »

If you follow Liquorix on Google Plus then you will see that Steve is still working on the Wine packages. He has mentioned the little gem that if you are a 64bit user then you have to enable mult-arch first. Certainly his first effort was never going to work on my setup.
GregE

Post by GregE »

Updates to libc coming through that want to remove half my system.

Take care with updates for a few days.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

No problems with libc upgrades here.

Commit Log for Sun Jul 22 19:19:31 2012

Upgraded the following packages:
fortune-mod (1:1.99.1-4) to 1:1.99.1-5
fortunes-min (1:1.99.1-4) to 1:1.99.1-5
libc-bin (2.13-34) to 2.13-35
libc-dev-bin (2.13-34) to 2.13-35
libc6 (2.13-34) to 2.13-35
libc6-dev (2.13-34) to 2.13-35
locales (2.13-34) to 2.13-35
multiarch-support (2.13-34) to 2.13-35

Greg, could it be your past multiarch upgrades?
GregE

Post by GregE »

GeneC wrote:Greg, could it be your past multiarch upgrades?
Gene, I cannot answer that, but this is my result.

The following packages will be upgraded:
  libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dev-i386 libc6-i386
  libxfce4util6
7 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 164 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/18.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 437 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
I also have a partially upgraded Xfce4 from 4.8 to 4.10, but those packages are held back.
GregE

Post by GregE »

With a bit of work the answer is yes. All the issues revolved around i386 packages and their dependencies.

It is the pioneers who get the arrows in their backs.

Now to try and fix it.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

GregE wrote:................

It is the pioneers who get the arrows in their backs............
:lol:
Sounds like time to "circle the wagons"
Regulus74

Post by Regulus74 »

GregE wrote:
With a bit of work the answer is yes. All the issues revolved around i386 packages and their dependencies.

It is the pioneers who get the arrows in their backs.

Now to try and fix it.
I have Debian sid multiarch but I didn't have any problem in updating libc6 and related packages :mrgreen: :?:
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

all the problems with ia32 and multiarch, along with Gnome imploding make me glad I am using i386 and KDE.

Fully upgraded sid using daily apt-get dist-upgrade, no problems here. With 1933 installed packages.

Return to “LMDE Archive”