LMDE max external resolution lost during rolling update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zenskillz

LMDE max external resolution lost during rolling update

Post by zenskillz »

Hi - After one one the rolling updates a few months back, my netbook can no longer achieve the 1366x768 resolution when connected to an external vga monitor. I crossed my fingers, hoping that the issue would be fixed in another update, but it hasn't. Windows XP handles 1366x768 just fine and I believe the netbook can handle higher resolutions depending on the monitor. After numerous searches however, I still don't know how to fix this.

The default netbook resolution of 1024x600 works just fine.

Model: Samsung NC10 Netbook (2008)
Graphics: Intel GMA 950

TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: LMDE max external resolution lost during rolling update

Post by lmintnewb »

Just curious as to whether you checked whatever controls lmde has for controlling screen resolution ? Perhaps it just reset your setting and you can up them to where ya want again ? Ya probably already checked that route. But never know ... sumtimes the obvious things get overlooked cause they are obvious.

Might look this over too. Looked interesting and related to a situation like yours.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25228 ... resolution

Note: When you get to that webpage. For some odd reason it tries to automatically do a weird redirect. Just hit the Esc key to stay on the page and read the dialogue there. Seems like many of the people discussing the topic were having the same issues you are and a solution was produced. Cannot guarantee it'll work. But can't see how it'd hurt to check it out.

:D
zenskillz

Post by zenskillz »

My External Monitor:
Samsung SyncMaster 933HD Plus

800x600 at Graphical Login
1024x768 when switched to external VGA at Graphical Login

Monitor Preferences (using external VGA monitor only)
1024x768 <<
800x600
848x480
640x480

Monitor Preferences (Netbook only, VGA cable disconnected)
1024x600
800x600
640x480

The Tom's hardware presented some options...some dealing with getting new Windows 7 drivers, nothing for Linux specifically.

In LMDE I have no xorg.conf file and I didn't even have a /etc/X11/ directory until I ran dpkg -reconfigure xserver.org. Where are these settings stored so I can modify them?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Cannot really say. Haven't had the pleasure of Mint's lmde release yet. Plan to sometime, just been dealing with other stuff.

Did ya ever investigate that webpage ? Or try what people there did ? Seemed to be working for them ... dunno. Either way, will have to let the experienced lmde Minters give ya a hand or if not. Can only think to suggest google ... Linux guru ? ... Nope. Google blackbelt ? ... yep, yep.

:D
zenskillz

Post by zenskillz »

I'm embarrassed to say that I tried the "pull the cord out of the wall" method. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Hmmmm ... not sure about this.

Guess you're looking at playing with the control settings for resolution in both Mint and the monitor involved. Then if that doesn't pan out. Perhaps ... installing a graphics driver other than the one that's installed now ? About concludes anything I can think to offer help or suggestionwise ... gd luck.

Return to “LMDE Archive”