Tsunum wrote:Hi Karashata,
Thanks for the explanations. Quite a lengthy process you're describing there, I am not sure I have time to do this at the moment, but thank you anyway for your help - much appreciated.
So you just keep your system updated and address eventual breakage on a case by case basis? or do you try to anticipate any problem by carefully reading the breakage list every time a new update is available?
I usually just take a chance and update everything I can as the updates show up in the package list. Thankfully I've managed to avoid any breakages, though I'm sure if they happened I'd have to address them on a case-by-case basis. I do check the breakages thread here on the forums, though I have yet to encounter any of those breakages myself.
I also usually make sure I carefully look through the list of other package changes before I apply an update operation in case any packages I'm about to update want to remove other packages I either need to or want to keep, that way I can avoid updating those packages. Currently I've had to avoid updating Perl (since it wants to remove Xchat and a few other packages I'm not sure it's safe to remove), Pidgin (since it wants to pull the newer version of Perl), a couple of Python packages (they would remove a number of Mint's utilities and more packages I'm unsure whether or not it's safe to remove), and a couple of Linux kernel updates (due to the package dependencies not being met, they want to pull 3.0.0 rc1 but the packages don't exist in the repos yet).
I hope you find this extra information helpful.
EDIT: Something else to add (as I'm currently experiencing it), I seem to encounter more issues updating some packages than I encounter issues because of packages I updated. If I encounter issues while trying to update certain packages, I'll deselect them from the list and finish updating everything else before I try to update them again. If I still encounter issues after updating everything else, I'll usually leave them alone and wait for a newer version to come out that might fix the issue I'm having trying to get them updated.