LMDE update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
godsotherhand

LMDE update

Post by godsotherhand »

From what i understand, LMDE is a rolling release, so the .ISO from the website is a snapshot of how the OS is at that moment, right?
So, will the software manager be updated to the same1 as the linux mint 11 release? Or do i need to download the .iso that will be released? Also, if the look of LMDE is changed (more desktop backgrounds, switches to gnome3 in the future) will those changes be applied to my installation too?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LMDE update

Post by tdockery97 »

Unfortunately, the LMDE iso on the mirrors has not been updated since it was released in December/January (depending on the architecture). That iso will result in about 1000 updates needing to be installed. I've read that the plan is to release a new snapshot sometime later this month that will contain all the updates.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

godsotherhand wrote:From what i understand, LMDE is a rolling release, so the .ISO from the website is a snapshot of how the OS is at that moment, right?
as tdockery said the LMDE isos are snapshots of december/january; if you install one of those isos now you'll go though about 1000 updates, but will end up with a system up-to-date as off today;
godsotherhand wrote: So, will the software manager be updated to the same1 as the linux mint 11 release?
in short, no: They are different branchs, Mint11 is Ubuntu based and LMDE Debian based, so the software available and their v. differs
godsotherhand wrote: Also, if the look of LMDE is changed (more desktop backgrounds, switches to gnome3 in the future) will those changes be applied to my installation too?
yes; that's the point of a rolling release, you get all the upstream chances in your install just by updating it (no need to re-install to get new features)
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

I wasnt refering to the software selection ( i understand that mint11 and LMDE cant run the same software), but to the Software Manager program itself (in linuxmint 11 it looks different, tell u all the dependencies, gives u a better estimate of the size of the full package, and so on). Was asking if that's gonna appear in LMDE later or if it's not.. But ty, I understand now :P
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

godsotherhand wrote:I wasnt refering to the software selection ( i understand that mint11 and LMDE cant run the same software), but to the Software Manager program itself (in linuxmint 11 it looks different, tell u all the dependencies, gives u a better estimate of the size of the full package, and so on). Was asking if that's gonna appear in LMDE later or if it's not.. But ty, I understand now :P

Just install and use : update-manager-gnome - GNOME application that manages software updates

Or use CLI and do apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade -d the last command will show you the packages and size of the download before downloading them.

$ su
Password:
root@debian:/home/craig# apt-get update
Fetched 370 kB in 30s (11.9 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

Code: Select all

# apt-get dist-upgrade -d
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-image-2.6.39-2-486
The following packages will be upgraded:
  cpp-4.5 cpp-4.6 g++-4.5 g++-4.6 gcc-4.5 gcc-4.5-base gcc-4.6 gcc-4.6-base libbluetooth3 libgcc1 libgfortran3 libgomp1
  libquadmath0 libservlet2.5-java libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.5-dev libstdc++6-4.6-dev libxcb-randr0 libxcb-render0
  libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxcb1 libxi6 linux-image-2.6-486 linux-image-486 python-gconf sun-java6-bin
  sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
31 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 106 MB of archives.
After this operation, 83.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
The above would be the upgrades for my system which are available today.

Return to “LMDE Archive”