Lot's of upgrades and new pkgs?

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Lot's of upgrades and new pkgs?

Postby feffer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:59 am

I've been upgrading regularly (using # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade) but the recent one was loaded:
Code: Select all
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libtar ntfsprogs nvidia-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cpp-4.6 fuse g++-4.6 gcc-4.6 grub-pc-bin grub2-common gwibber-service gwibber-service-facebook
  gwibber-service-identica gwibber-service-twitter libauthen-ntlm-perl libdbusmenu-glib3
  libdigest-hmac-perl libdigest-sha1-perl libdvbpsi7 libindicate-gtk2 libindicate5
  liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmjpegtools-2.0-0 libntfs-3g804 libpython2.7 libquicktime2
  libstdc++6-4.6-dev libtar0 libx264-115 libxcb-util0 nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-support
  python-gtkspell python-indicate python-libproxy python-oauth python-pycurl virtualbox
  virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-qt
The following packages have been kept back:
  f-spot
The following packages will be upgraded: ***cut*** 80-100 of them
While I was surprised by the large number of upgrades, I've seen this before on another rolling distro, but I'm wondering about the 3 getting removed. Is it OK to let them go?

thx,
feffer
feffer
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lot's of upgrades and new pkgs?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 am

If you carefully read the list of programs to be installed, you will find replacements for the three that are being removed.

libtar => libtar0

ntfsprogs => libntfs-3g804

nvidia-common => nvidia-installer-cleanup, nvidia-support

In general, packages will not be removed unless a newer package is to be installed.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby feffer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:02 pm

OK thx. I did know that pkgs are sometimes removed and replaced, and did look through the list before posting, but it didn't satisfy me. The one that worried me most was nvidia-common. I saw that nvidia-installer-cleanup and nvidia-support were added, but without asking, how would I know that these were replacements?

And yes, I do know that generally apt package management is rational and doesn't remove things w/o replacing them, but not always. I used another rolling release for several years, and saw several instances of this. I almost pulled the trigger on the dist-upgrade when I first updated, but having been burned before, I thought I'd better ask.

thx again,
feffer
feffer
Level 3
Level 3

Postby craigevil on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Looks fine just watch that grub updates correctly and without any errors.

Hopefully you have both apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges installed. :)
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues