Lot's of upgrades and new pkgs?

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules

Lot's of upgrades and new pkgs?

Postby feffer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:59 am

I've been upgrading regularly (using # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade) but the recent one was loaded:
Code: Select all
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libtar ntfsprogs nvidia-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cpp-4.6 fuse g++-4.6 gcc-4.6 grub-pc-bin grub2-common gwibber-service gwibber-service-facebook
  gwibber-service-identica gwibber-service-twitter libauthen-ntlm-perl libdbusmenu-glib3
  libdigest-hmac-perl libdigest-sha1-perl libdvbpsi7 libindicate-gtk2 libindicate5
  liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmjpegtools-2.0-0 libntfs-3g804 libpython2.7 libquicktime2
  libstdc++6-4.6-dev libtar0 libx264-115 libxcb-util0 nvidia-installer-cleanup nvidia-support
  python-gtkspell python-indicate python-libproxy python-oauth python-pycurl virtualbox
  virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-qt
The following packages have been kept back:
  f-spot
The following packages will be upgraded: ***cut*** 80-100 of them
While I was surprised by the large number of upgrades, I've seen this before on another rolling distro, but I'm wondering about the 3 getting removed. Is it OK to let them go?

thx,
feffer
feffer
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lot's of upgrades and new pkgs?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 am

If you carefully read the list of programs to be installed, you will find replacements for the three that are being removed.

libtar => libtar0

ntfsprogs => libntfs-3g804

nvidia-common => nvidia-installer-cleanup, nvidia-support

In general, packages will not be removed unless a newer package is to be installed.
Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby feffer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:02 pm

OK thx. I did know that pkgs are sometimes removed and replaced, and did look through the list before posting, but it didn't satisfy me. The one that worried me most was nvidia-common. I saw that nvidia-installer-cleanup and nvidia-support were added, but without asking, how would I know that these were replacements?

And yes, I do know that generally apt package management is rational and doesn't remove things w/o replacing them, but not always. I used another rolling release for several years, and saw several instances of this. I almost pulled the trigger on the dist-upgrade when I first updated, but having been burned before, I thought I'd better ask.

thx again,
feffer
feffer
Level 3
Level 3

Postby craigevil on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Looks fine just watch that grub updates correctly and without any errors.

Hopefully you have both apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges installed. :)
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues