28th June updates have upset the system (Solved)

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

28th June updates have upset the system (Solved)

Postby Ralf1e on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:07 am

Hello all, Today I updated through mint update which put a lot of packages on including the Vdpau-Driver for graphics. It also seems to has removed the Nvidia 173 driver or done something with it.
After the updates I have a black screen after start up and I have a system that can not recognise a camera it has been working with every day.
The only way I could get into the system was to use a previous kernel shown in the grub menu.
Does anyone else have this problem and is there a cure for the damage the updates have done.
Help!
Last edited by Ralf1e on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralf1e
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 28th June updates have upset the system

Postby Gerd50 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Hello Ralf,

i think, what after that update you are missing is the package 'linux-headers-2.6-686-pae' if you are using a 32bit system.
Boot the previous kernel, install the package and run

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

in the terminal.
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 28th June updates have upset the system (solved)

Postby Ralf1e on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 am

Gerd50 wrote:Hello Ralf,

i think, what after that update you are missing is the package 'linux-headers-2.6-686-pae' if you are using a 32bit system.
Boot the previous kernel, install the package and run

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

in the terminal.

Hello Gerd50,
I had already tried the 'linux-headers-2.6-686-pae' and had no success so I had to do a complete install from scratch and then do the upgrades I had already tried the terminal upgrade with no success so ended up re-installing from disk then doing the terminal upgrades and even after that the mint upgrade put over 700 packages on. I give up trying to understand it all, but it is now working and I have a screen to look at and I have at last found the answer to the camera problem as well by changing the downloader and listing the camera model in the files.
I also found out that shotwell can rename the files to lowercase as it imports them which answers another problem.
Thank's for the reply I shall now mark this as solved
Ralf1e
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues