Could not refresh the list of packages... (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Could not refresh the list of packages... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

The update shield has a red cross and hovering the mouse over it reveals the message "Could not refresh the list of packages".

Clicking on the shield and then Refresh on the dialogue box presented results in the following error.

Code: Select all

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_debian_import_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
Is anyone else experiencing this, please? If so, how did you solve the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Could not refresh the list of packages...

Post by DataMan »

Just a starting wag (based on your avatar) :mrgreen: Repositories down? Wait a reasonable amount of time then try again..

-DataMan
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tenfoot,
you're trying to upgate and your internet went kaput for a while, right? and after that you get that error?
been there, done that, have the t-shit somewhere :lol:

- don't know if this is the right way to fix that, but works for me everytime (and tks to BT it's a few):
- go to /var/lib/apt and open as root the lists folder;
- if it's the same issue, you should see in there one or several html files instead of the usual files that should be there (if you are unsure what is what, double-click one, the good guys will open in gedit, the bad ones in any internet browser)
- select the html files and delete them;
- the update should be fine now
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

DataMan wrote:Just a starting wag (based on your avatar) :mrgreen: Repositories down? Wait a reasonable amount of time then try again..

-DataMan
Ah! Meet Jordan on the left and Albert on the right. They are both Italian Spinone. Jordan is coming up 4 years of age and Albert will be 13 at the end of September.

Can accept that Repositories are down but for foour days now!

See my reply to zerozero.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

zerozero wrote:tenfoot,
you're trying to upgate and your internet went kaput for a while, right? and after that you get that error?
been there, done that, have the t-**** somewhere :lol:
Can't remember my internet going down but that means nothing at my age :oops:

- don't know if this is the right way to fix that, but works for me everytime (and tks to BT it's a few):
- go to /var/lib/apt and open as root the lists folder;
- if it's the same issue, you should see in there one or several html files instead of the usual files that should be there (if you are unsure what is what, double-click one, the good guys will open in gedit, the bad ones in any internet browser)
- select the html files and delete them;
- the update should be fine now
Didn't find any files with the HTML extension but double clicked on each one in turn and deleted those which opened in a browser window and deleted them as per your suggestion.Delighted to report that all is now well. Thank you again! By the way does BT stand for British Telecom?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

glad to know that my "fix" works :D
and yes, BT is British Telecom :lol:
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Once again I have the dreaded red cross on the Update Manager icon. Clicked on refresh and got the same error as before, viz:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header.
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_debian_import_i18n_Translation-en
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
Then tried to update through the terminal by typing sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade but this resulted in the same error as before.

Checked /var/lib/apt/lists and clicked on each file in turn. Most were O.K. but several opened in a browser. The browser window contained the following:

Thomson Gateway.
TG585v8 	

Network Error...	

Your requested host could not be reached. Click on the link below to retry.

http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/debian/import/i18n/Index

Clicking on the link returns a 404 - Not Found

At the moment I am staying with my son and daughter-in-law. They use a Thompson Router, if that helps. Seems strange, though, because I have no difficulty in getting into other websites.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Could not refresh the list of packages... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

As I hadn't rebooted for about three weeks, I decided to do so and, miraculously, the problem of the Mint Update not refreshing was solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”