Software manager not starting

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Software manager not starting

Postby godsotherhand on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:52 am

Software manager doesnt start for me now..
No idea why this happened, although LMDE did act strange...(ran update,it got around 800+MB of updates, it finished update, ran it again, it said nothing needed update..and after reboot another 600 MB of updates >.<).
Could any1 please help me get my software manger up and working? I know, i can use synaptic, but the software manager is alot more easyer for me.
godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software manager not starting

Postby monte44 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:31 pm

I am having the same issue too. Hope you hear something.
monte44
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msm on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I had the same issue today and resolved it by changing from the Main Server to the Best Server Available (or something like that) under Software Sources.
msm
Level 3
Level 3

Postby techzonez on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:13 am

This is apparantly not an isolated problem. The same think is happening to me with the 64-bit version. Adding to the frustration is that there seems to be no way to kill the process (short of restarting the computer) once I click on it in the main menu. It does not show up in the System Monitor. Looking for a solution.
techzonez
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rjs on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm

No. It's not isolated. It's broke. Do a search here on the forum for the fix if so inclined. The revert works for this particular app, but breaks on update again of course.

To kill the hanging process, just use xkill from the terminal, or, ps aux |grep whatever, kill -9 process number. You can also run top and kill the process from there if you so choose. If you want to make it even easier, you can set up a taskbar xkill by adding "force quit" to your applications on the taskbar. Right click, add app, force quit... that is xkill. Click on it, it will change your mouse curser to an app killer, click on the hung window... POOF... gone.

Recommendation long term however is to use the promt to kill processes. You can verify the process manually and kill it. That is the better way to do it. There are very few times you will ever truly "need" to reboot linux. A kernel upgrade being one exception.
---
"LMDE - Linux Mint Debian Edition - Debian, with a touch of elegance." -rjs
rjs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:52 pm

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues