Software and Update Manager stopped working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mycat

Software and Update Manager stopped working

Post by mycat »

After the latest update, the software manager and update manager stopped working. Apparently the Flash non-free package was changed or eliminated also as that stopped working at the same time. I was able to install flash non-free with synaptic but the other two problems persist. If I try and run the update manager it hangs up at the opening splash screen, no error messages. Update manager never shows any options for updating. Using Debian 64 bit on an Acer Aspire laptop. Debian was working well since the initial install but the last update appears to have broken it. I have checked pretty much everything online and found nothing workable. I jumped from Ubuntu after 8 years because the latest version was painfully slow. Debian looked like the answer but now is broken. Hopefully, I won't have to switch to Windows but it is the only thing working now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amina

Re: Software and Update Manager stopped working

Post by amina »

Hello!
Not sure if it's the same but recently I too had problems with the update manager on LMDE.
I would suggest you to read this blog post: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781 about the new update pack system that has just been introduced to LMDE. You should install the package mintupdate-debian (which will remove mintupdate but install the new Debian-optimized one, which will hopefully work.) Then change you sources.list to the incoming or latest repo.
In the new Update Manager there is a button called "Update Pack Info" and if you click on it you can read some useful information, including a fix for Flash issues.
Let us know how it goes, and don't give up so easily :)
LMDE is currently in a state where a lot of innovation happens and it will be even better than already is.
mycat

Re: Software and Update Manager stopped working

Post by mycat »

Thank you. That sorted everything except the software manager but fortunately, the fix for that was on another thread in the forums. Mark it down as a success.

Return to “LMDE Archive”