Changed to new update pack repo - error

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Changed to new update pack repo - error

Postby xendistar on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:24 pm

I came across this thread ealrlier today while browsing the forum -> viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81449,
I checked out my repo list and found that it was different to those posted

Code: Select all
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free

According to the update pack icon in Update manager I was tracking testing. A part from allowing debian multimedia repo after I had installed LMDE I have not done anything with the repo list since (install which was in May this year).

So I adjusted my repos so as to be the same as the one in clems blog (and in Dave W post above)

So I ran apt-get update and all was ok so I ran apt-get dist-upgrade the system went through the motion of downloading the packages and then fell over when the install stage came around with the following error

Code: Select all
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable.
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable.
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable.
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
N: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'google-chrome.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I could speculate as to what has gone wrong but can anybody help me resolve my position.

Before anybody says that testing is not for newbie, I am not a newbie and I am fully aware of what testing is and have no qualms at lifting the bonnet and getting my hands dirty, so to speak. I just need a dam good manual to tell me what I need to do first??

Regards

Tim
Last edited by proxima_centauri on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linked to thread post split from.
xendistar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changed to new update pack repo - error

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:29 pm

* Split post into it's own thread from LMDE 201109 - Important INFO
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby grizzler on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:44 pm

xendistar wrote:I could speculate as to what has gone wrong but can anybody help me resolve my position.

This appears to be the same problem as mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502&start=1100#p469146

It's an odd one, as my sudoers file doesn't have the extra two lines mentioned on the following page either and my sudo is still working fine.

The bits about google-chrome.list.save can safely be ignored, by the way (or you could remove google-chrome.list.save from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/).
grizzler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby yaye on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm

You probably installed from the ISO released in January, 2011 and have been tracking Testing ever since then. I believe the blog entry and Dave W. post are about the new 201109 ISO. If grizzler's post doesn't resolve your problem, it may be best to change your sources.list back to tracking Testing. If you are having problems with the breakage caused by tracking Testing, you could switch to tracking Incoming or Latest.
Unregistered Desktop Linux User since 1998 (Redhat 5.0 "Hurricane").
yaye
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xendistar on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:34 pm

My apologies to proxima_centauri for my thoughtless posting

OK I have edited the sudoer file and sudo seem to be working ok.

Yes it would of been the Jan 2011 iso

Now here is the problem, if I run the dist-upgrade it comes back wanting to install linux-image-2.6.39-2-686-pae (plus the headers etc.) but I already have the Linux 3.0.0-1-686-pae kernel installed which I got as an update from late August. So it may be best for me to return to my previous source list?

If I return to my previous source list I guess it will mean I am out of sequence with the current LMDE rolling upgrade path which means at some point in the future I will have to reinstall with the latest iso??
xendistar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yaye on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:53 pm

xendistar wrote:My apologies to proxima_centauri for my thoughtless posting

OK I have edited the sudoer file and sudo seem to be working ok.

Yes it would of been the Jan 2011 iso

Now here is the problem, if I run the dist-upgrade it comes back wanting to install linux-image-2.6.39-2-686-pae (plus the headers etc.) but I already have the Linux 3.0.0-1-686-pae kernel installed which I got as an update from late August. So it may be best for me to return to my previous source list?

It's probably trying to install the older kernel because you are no longer on the Testing track. If you haven't installed much since the change, returning to Testing and doing an update may be best. After that you could switch to Incoming or Latest, depending on your comfort level.

xendistar wrote:If I return to my previous source list I guess it will mean I am out of sequence with the current LMDE rolling upgrade path which means at some point in the future I will have to reinstall with the latest iso??

Returning to Testing and doing an update hopefully will just update packages to the current Testing versions. You shouldn't have to reinstall using the 201109 ISO. The 201109 ISO is only to allow people to install LDME without having to download all the package updates since the August 2010 or January 2011 ISO's were released. Trying to use the August 2010 or January 2011 ISO's and update them to current status is becoming difficult or just fails depending on the user's skill level.
Unregistered Desktop Linux User since 1998 (Redhat 5.0 "Hurricane").
yaye
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues