Need to ignore a package on the Service Pack 3 Updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nbob

Need to ignore a package on the Service Pack 3 Updates

Post by nbob »

Hello. I'm running LMDE 64-bit. I have always had a problem with linux distros and my HP Printer. My printer is a LaserJet 3150.

I have narrowed down the problem to a single package in the updates --- libusb-0.1-4 . I can get my printing to work if I tell the update manager to ignore this package.
In the past I have been able to type in the ignored package, reload the updates, and then go ahead and update without any problems (and my printer would work correctly). But now we have update pack 3 and something has changed.

Here's what happens.
I type in the ignored package, reload the updates and then click on the button to apply all marked updates. The update manager then comes back to let me know which packages are going to be added and which are going to be removed or upgraded. Everything seems cool. Then I click ok and the screen disappears and nothing happens. It should be running through an hour or so of updates for update pack 3.

So my question is this -- How do I tell the update manager to ignore a package and still get it to do its job?
Another question -- Is there any way to undo a particular update after the fact?

This is very frustrating I'm just trying to get my printer to print.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Need to ignore a package on the Service Pack 3 Updates

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know how to do this after the fact, but up front you could have locked / held the version of this package so it wouldn't get updated to a newer version--no matter what. I'm not sure how this works with update packs, but I think it should work. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pinni ... g_Packages

I've found following on how to downgrade a package to an earlier version. The clue, as given there, is that the older version is probably still in your package cache. So you can uninstall the current package, and then forcefully install the lower version from the package cache. (And then lock it of course :wink:) http://askubuntu.com/questions/27714/ho ... 7794#27794

Return to “LMDE Archive”