updated to gnome 3 and Mint Look&Feel gone?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
interceptor

updated to gnome 3 and Mint Look&Feel gone?

Post by interceptor »

Hi all:

Last night I just used the mint-update to keep system fine. The results were that I was migrated to gnome3 Right Now the system is functional but I don't know if I am using the Linux mint Theme , my look and feel is "Debianized" . The mint look & feel is gone. It's possible that I had my sources pointing to the debian servers by the time of the update, now It's corrected and pointed to Linuxmint repositories. How can I be sure that I am using the Mint themes and arrangements in my desktop?

The experience right now is not good so I want to see if Iam missing something.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: updated to gnome 3 and Mint Look&Feel gone?

Post by zerozero »

what happened with you was this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p492268 (gnome-shell entered testing)
anyway just to sure that everything is fine there, can you open a terminal and show the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
and also

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

Ok, I am checking the related info now.

Thanks for your support
hampleman

Post by hampleman »

Same story here: after an upgrade && dist-upgrade all Mint beauty has gone. Splash screen and desktop backgroud are replaced by that (silly childish) new Debian stuff. And the mint menu is evaporated.
Allso gone are the icons and shortcuts on my Desktop (though they're still in my ~/Desktop directory): is this a Gnome 3 'feature'?
And as a topper on the cake Thunderbird de-installed. Just like that. What a dissaster! Re-installed it. No problem...

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
didn't solve the issue. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hampleman, well in your perspective it won't get better, gnome-shell is here and to stay; there's no dist-upgrade that will undo what you have now.

here we talked about some options
penguinsam

Post by penguinsam »

zerozero wrote:hampleman, well in your perspective it won't get better, gnome-shell is here and to stay; there's no dist-upgrade that will undo what you have now.

No other way to revoke or fallback to the Gnome 2?
hampleman

Post by hampleman »

It's not that I can't live with Gnome3 - I get used to it fast, but my girlfriend grumbles even about minor interface changes ... how should I explain to her that this is called progress...

What I do miss is the Mint design and the Mint menu.
Is MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions) allready available?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's available in the Mint 12 RC at http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

penguinsam wrote:
zerozero wrote:hampleman, well in your perspective it won't get better, gnome-shell is here and to stay; there's no dist-upgrade that will undo what you have now.

No other way to revoke or fallback to the Gnome 2?
no, unless you go to Mint9 (LTS), 10 or 11, within LMDE no.
hampleman wrote:It's not that I can't live with Gnome3 - I get used to it fast, but my girlfriend grumbles even about minor interface changes ... how should I explain to her that this is called progress...

What I do miss is the Mint design and the Mint menu.
Is MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions) allready available?
The msge-extensions are only compatible with gnome-shell3.2, and LMDE's shell v. is 3.0, they won't work there; here you can find some tweaks for LMDE's shell
hampleman

Post by hampleman »

zerozero wrote:The msge-extensions are only compatible with gnome-shell3.2, and LMDE's shell v. is 3.0, they won't work there; here you can find some tweaks for LMDE's shell
Thank you zerozero. Time for some (unexpected) adventures over here. I kinda going to like Gnome3. (and my girl Fallback ;))
murallo

Post by murallo »

Hi, Like you I upgraded to Gnome 3. I did check beforehand and was a touch worried that a certain Linus Torvald didn't like gnome 3. That should have warned me. Well, I've installed enough linux versions by now, I can de-install, re-install without losing the plot. So I went ahead. All sorts of weird happenings,distorted icons, icons containing garbage, several screens-ful of icons when you open Activities and a whole new desktop concept without a word of help, but the main showstopper is abysmal performance. Now this PC, while not new, performs perfectly adequately on Gnome 2, KDE, even Solaris. On Gnome 3, I get fairly consistent 5 second response times. Not really usuable. Look at the system monitor and processor one is running regularly over 50% up to 90. Processor two a bit less. What's running? Gnome-shell. Nothing else. What's it doing? Who knows.
Fortunately, my previous research (thanks Linus) points me to 'Gnome fallback'. Login again with this instead of 'Gnome' and I have a working desktop again. If anything it's even faster than Gnome 2 and CPU usage is <10%.
Now, as I understand it, I am still running Gnome3 but not using the new desktop?? Gnome-shell does not appear as as a process now.
In short, I might try Gnome3 again if the slow running is fixed. But I'm not impressed. I can always defect to KDE since I already have half a KDE system just to run Amarok.

Best Regards,
Harry Anderson

Return to “LMDE Archive”