Deleting "dead" packages <SOLVED>

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Deleting "dead" packages <SOLVED>

Postby kaamos on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 am

Hello,

I was trying to install Wine packages on LMDE and could not, so I decided to do it manually. Sadly, that did not work as well. Seeing this I uninstalled everything, however, the entries for the .deb packages still show up in the Synaptic Package Manager with no version code or any other information. These are not installed and the .deb packages themselves have been deleted. I cannot install these packages either. Could someone please tell me how to remove these entries?

Cheers,

kaamos
Last edited by kaamos on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaamos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Deleting "dead" packages

Postby viking777 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:47 am

Open up a terminal and run

Code: Select all
locate wine

That will tell you where any remaining traces are and you will then be able to remove them
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Deleting "dead" packages

Postby kaamos on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey,

Thanks for replying :D. I did try what you said, even from root folder with root privileges and both time(root and without), the search returned icon files only icon (.svg and .png). In short, it did not solve my problem :(.

However, I clicked on both the packages and "Complete Removed" them. This seemed odd since they were NOT installed in the first place. In any case, I solved my problem :D.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help ;)

Cheers,

kaamos
kaamos
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues