Pointing to Stable Repository

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby KBD47 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 pm

I would like some opinions about what would be the worst that could happen if I change my repositories from Latest to Stable? Long term what would likely happen, especially when Wheezy enters Stable in a year or so?
Thanks.
KBD47
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby lahirdenganselamat on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:06 pm

IMO the worst could happen is, you won't get update for a while (because your installed package was newer than ones on the repo). I think there is no big risk doing such a thing..
ASUS 1215B AMD E-350 with Linux Mint 15 KDE, Precise Puppy, and Saluki
User avatar
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Yogyakarta

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby KBD47 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 pm

lahirdenganselamat wrote:IMO the worst could happen is, you won't get update for a while (because your installed package was newer than ones on the repo). I think there is no big risk doing such a thing..


Thanks. I didn't think much would happen.
KBD47
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby KBD47 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 pm

It was interesting to see there were about 80 updates in Debian Stable repository.
KBD47
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby lahirdenganselamat on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 pm

wow, it's new to me, seems like I have to try that on my LMDE xfce.. :D yesterday she refuse to boot (she sit on my vbox) after last update..
ASUS 1215B AMD E-350 with Linux Mint 15 KDE, Precise Puppy, and Saluki
User avatar
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Yogyakarta

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby KBD47 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:36 am

Here are the Repositories I'm set to now:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

I was pointing to Latest, I blocked those out and used the ones above. Like I mentioned, about 80 updates. Everything seems to be working fine.
KBD47
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby LifeInTheGrey on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 am

KBD47 wrote:Here are the Repositories I'm set to now:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

I was pointing to Latest, I blocked those out and used the ones above. Like I mentioned, about 80 updates. Everything seems to be working fine.
KBD47


Most likely this is due to squeeze-backports, which oddly enough gets updates sooner than even debian testing in some scenarios. Like I'm on testing right now, and JUST last night I got the 3.2 kernel, when it was available from squeeze-backports for some time now.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby KBD47 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 pm

I got the 3.2 kernel as well, and I think LibreOffice got an update also. I figured it was the backport. It will be nice not having to wonder if an update will break something. I've got the installs on both of my computers set to those repositories now.
BTW I believe I got those repositories from your Debian Stable Mint page, so thanks!
KBD47
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Pointing to Stable Repository

Postby LifeInTheGrey on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 am

KBD47 wrote:I got the 3.2 kernel as well, and I think LibreOffice got an update also. I figured it was the backport. It will be nice not having to wonder if an update will break something. I've got the installs on both of my computers set to those repositories now.
BTW I believe I got those repositories from your Debian Stable Mint page, so thanks!
KBD47


Avec plaisir, monsieur. :D
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:38 pm
Location: Seattle

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests