missing "Log out" button.

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

missing "Log out" button.

Postby rayandrews on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 pm

All,

Did the routine upgrade last night and the strangest thing has happened. It might not have actually been caused by the upgrade, or maybe it was. Anyway, I have Ctrl+Alt+Del set to bring up the "Shut down this system now" dialogue, but the "Log out" button has vanished! The "Cancel" button is still there as always. Is this some configuration issue or did the "Log out" button somehow get deleted? I have a backup install that's fine so if it should be the case that the button itself has been deleted somehow, if I knew where these buttons were stored (if they are in fact seperate things, as I expect they are), then I could restore it easily. This is of course with the std. Gnome coming with LMDE.
rayandrews
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: missing "Log out" button.

Postby Morrog on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 pm

this once worked for me (though it might not be the same problem). you can try and see if it brings the button back.

Morrog wrote:fixed it with solution found here

Code: Select all
sudo nano /etc/pam.d/common-session

after the line
session   required   pam_unix.so

insert this
session optional        pam_loginuid.so

save, logout (or restart) and the shutdown option is back in the main menu, pressing the power button brings back the shutdown dialog and users-admin is again editable
Morrog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: missing "Log out" button.

Postby rayandrews on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 am

Morrog wrote:this once worked for me (though it might not be the same problem). you can try and see if it brings the button back.

Morrog wrote:fixed it with solution found here

sudo nano /etc/pam.d/common-session

after the line
session   required   pam_unix.so

insert this
session optional        pam_loginuid.so

save, logout (or restart) and the shutdown option is back in the main menu, pressing the power button brings back the shutdown dialog and users-admin is again editable

Morrog,

Thanks, but it's turned out to be redundant. I trashed my install by converting my repos from 'latest' to 'testing' which installed Gnome 3, which won't work, so I've had to restore the whole install from a backup.
rayandrews
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues