Graphics Card problems with Incoming [ Gone Back to Testing

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

Graphics Card problems with Incoming [ Gone Back to Testing

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi

Why is it that when I do a fresh install it works ok and my graphics card is found and accepted but when I switch to incomming and do an upgrade it fails to work ? I used to be on incomming until it wouldn't find my graphics card, that is it only seemed to go to a shell, I think that is what you call it, and I don't know how to get round it.
At present I am on latest but would like to be on inccomming as part of the testing thing even though I don't know a lot about LINUX.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Graphics Card problems with Incoming

Post by viking777 »

Have you tried sgfxi?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... xi#p497881

It just works. (in my experience).
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi viking777

Well I tried the commands that you suggested with no luck. I first tried it in root terminal and got the following message

ERROR: (250) You must be out of X/Desktop (like KDE, Gnome, Flux, LXDE etc) to run this feature.

So I have just tried it in recouvery mode and have got the following

Date time -- http://smxi.org/sgfxi
resolving smxi.org (smxi.org) ...... failed: name or service not found
wget; unable to resolve host address smxi.org

I have tried this on my working version in testing. Does this mean that I have to upgrade to incomming before the commands you gave me will work ? if so then I will upgrade and try again :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I have tried this on my working version in testing. Does this mean that I have to upgrade to incomming before the commands you gave me will work ? if so then I will upgrade and try again :)
No that won't make any difference.

The starting point you want is a virtual terminal - Ctl/Alt/F1

The first line in the post I linked to is really meant for people that have already tried to upgrade by some other means and have failed which means they are stuck in a terminal login anyway, but obviously you aren't. I admit it doesn't read that way, I will have to amend it a bit.

I would guess that it won't work from recovery mode because you don't have internet connectivity in that mode (maybe wireless drivers not loaded?). Anyway try again from vt1.

BTW don't forget that in the virtual terminal you log in as user root not your usual username (usual password though).
twa

Post by twa »

Dar-es-Salaam,
resolving smxi.org (smxi.org) ...... failed: name or service not found
wget; unable to resolve host address smxi.org
my understanding is that U do not have smxi installed.
if U have it..
Ctrl/Alt/F1
and this window must open
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi viking777

Well I change my repro's to incomming and did the upgrade then rebooted. Signed is as root and ran your first command

cd /usr/local/bin ...etc

came up with the following

file is already retrieved; nothing to do
error (244) xorg does not appear to be installed
exiting script now.

yet when i press the main pc button to shut it down it says

stopping display manager gdm3

so why does it not give me the display that I know ?
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi TWA,

Thanks for that ctl/alt/f1 worked anyway so must have been installed
Dar-es-Salaam

Re: Graphics Card problems with Incoming [ Gone Back to Test

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi All

Thanks for all your help but I am sorry to say that is obviously beyond my limited knowledge of LINUX to sort out what is going on. I did try but I could not get it to work so I have gone back to Testing Repros as they work ok

I will try again some time in the future when I have more knowledge of what is going on. :D :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”