Laggy scrolling in Gnome 3, but fine in Cinnamon

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
romix

Laggy scrolling in Gnome 3, but fine in Cinnamon

Post by romix »

I have installed the UP 4 on my LMDE machine with IntelHD video card.

Overall, everything works quite OK after UP4 installation, but I have the following annoying problem:

- Gnome Shell, i.e. the Gnome3, has problems when scrolling in browsers, PDF viewers, etc. I use my touchpad for scrolling (the vertical bar on the right hand side of the touchpad). Sometimes scrolling is getting laggy – it freezes for a few seconds and doesn’t move at all for a while, then it works again. The CPU does not show any spikes at this time, according to “top” output.

- On the same machine, Cinnamon and MATE work fast and without any problems with scrolling.

Does anyone else has the same problems with scrolling in Gnome 3?
What are the reasons for it?
Is it a configuration issue? How it can be solved?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Laggy scrolling in Gnome 3, but fine in Cinnamon

Post by äxl »

IntelHD is on a laptop, right? Could you post your other system specifications?
romix

Post by romix »

Yes. It is a notebook. The model is Asus X52F.
Video card: IntelHD
CPU: Intel Pentium P6100
RAM: 2GB

Touchpad info:
ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
Module synaptics: compiled for 1.11.2.902, module version = 1.5.0

Setting VertScrollDelta to 18 helps a bit, but not much. And the version of the driver is 1.5.0 already, as suggested on the other thread (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=98931). But it does not help in my case.

More testing has shown that both Gnome 3 and Cinnamon have this scrolling problem when using vertical scrolling on the touchpad.
äxl

Post by äxl »

Could you post the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log like in the other thread.
From the part on when it says
(II) config/udev: Adding input device [...] TouchPad (/dev/input/[...])
romix

Post by romix »

Output of Xorg.0.log:

Code: Select all

[    31.482] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad (/dev/input/event6)
[    31.483] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Applying InputClass "evdev touchpad catchall"
[    31.483] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Applying InputClass "touchpad catchall"
[    31.483] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
[    31.483] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[    31.499] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    31.499] 	compiled for 1.11.2.902, module version = 1.5.0
[    31.499] 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[    31.499] 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 13.0
[    31.499] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad'
[    31.499] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[    31.499] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: always reports core events
[    31.499] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: x-axis range 0 - 1280
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: y-axis range 0 - 704
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: pressure range 0 - 255
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: finger width range 0 - 0
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: buttons: left right double triple
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Vendor 0x2 Product 0xe
[    31.499] (**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "18"
[    31.499] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: touchpad found
[    31.499] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: always reports core events
[    31.499] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input6/event6"
[    31.499] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" (type: TOUCHPAD, id 12)
[    31.499] (**) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: (accel) MinSpeed is now constant deceleration 2.5
[    31.499] (**) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: MaxSpeed is now 1.75
[    31.499] (**) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: AccelFactor is now 0.137
[    31.500] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
[    31.500] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: (accel) acceleration profile 1
[    31.500] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[    31.500] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[    31.500] (--) synaptics: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: touchpad found
[    31.500] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad (/dev/input/mouse0)
[    31.500] (**) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Ignoring device from InputClass "touchpad ignore duplicates"
äxl

Post by äxl »

Would you maybe try other versions of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics mentioned in the other thread?
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I just installed LMDE 2012-04 RC CInnamon+Mate 64bit and have been having issues with my ETPS/2 Elantech touchpad on my Asus X52F, installed "gpointing-device-settings" which says is has detected the correct hardware (I read somewhere not to install gsynaptics), it was working but I use side scrolling all the time and it seemed quite flaky and not working 100%, I also noticed that it seemed to be using a very narrow strip down the side, so used "synclient -l" to show all the settings and it listed "RightEdge = 1229" so I fiddled and ended up with "synclient RightEdge=1150" and it seems to be back to its old self now, but I couldn't figure out how to make it permanent (talk of Xorg.conf was confusing me as it no longer seems to exist), so for now I have just added that to the end or "~/.profile" so it gets executed at login.

Hope this helps.

GB
romix

Post by romix »

ginjabunny wrote:I just installed LMDE 2012-04 RC CInnamon+Mate 64bit and have been having issues with my ETPS/2 Elantech touchpad on my Asus X52F, installed "gpointing-device-settings" which says is has detected the correct hardware (I read somewhere not to install gsynaptics), it was working but I use side scrolling all the time and it seemed quite flaky and not working 100%, I also noticed that it seemed to be using a very narrow strip down the side, so used "synclient -l" to show all the settings and it listed "RightEdge = 1229" so I fiddled and ended up with "synclient RightEdge=1150" and it seems to be back to its old self now, but I couldn't figure out how to make it permanent (talk of Xorg.conf was confusing me as it no longer seems to exist), so for now I have just added that to the end or "~/.profile" so it gets executed at login.

Hope this helps.

GB
You made my day! Your method completely solved the problem with scrolling !!!

Regarding making this change permanent:
Please edit the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf and add this line into options:

Code: Select all

Option "RightEdge" "1150"
Thanks a lot!

Return to “LMDE Archive”