[SOLVED] Strange auto-complete issue in LMDE UP4

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
anayonkars

[SOLVED] Strange auto-complete issue in LMDE UP4

Post by anayonkars »

Hi,

After repetitive updates, finally I'm done with my update to UP4. It also seems that servers are working fine now.

However, after upgrading, I found a weird issue : auto-complete in terminal does not work properly. I searched over the web and found that some people faced similar issue, but in their case, auto-complete was not at all working. In my case, it works partially.

Let me give you an example:
When I type 'apt-' and hit tab, I get all commands starting with 'apt-' (e.g. apt-add-repository, apt-get etc.)
But when I hit tab after 'apt-get in', I don't get anything. Before upgrading, it used to auto-complete it to 'apt-get install'.
Even after apt-get install, when I partially type name of a package, tab key doesn't complete the package name automatically (it used to do it in UP3).

I even don't know if this is issue with apt, bash, gnome3 or UP4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Update : I just found that same issue persisted on cinnamon as well.

Also, does anyone know how to shut down the machine in gnome3? I'm using `init 0` :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Strange auto-complete issue in LMDE UP4

Post by äxl »

For shutdown look here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p563540

Auto-completion should be a bash problem. Did you ever change your .bashrc?
anayonkars

Re: Strange auto-complete issue in LMDE UP4

Post by anayonkars »

äxl wrote:For shutdown look here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p563540

Auto-completion should be a bash problem. Did you ever change your .bashrc?
Thanks a lot. I'll try gnome-shell-extension.

Apart from that, I actually never had .bashrc file, so some time back, I did create my own file. However, your suggestion was enough hint for me to remember that during UP4, something was changed in default bashrc files (in /etc dir) and I accepted maintainers version.

After doing a little search, I found below:
The .bashrc file should contain:

Code: Select all

if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
 . /etc/bash_completion
fi
That's it. Now auto-complete is working butter-smooth :)
kaefert
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Strange auto-complete issue in LMDE UP4

Post by kaefert »

thanks for this solution! ran into the same problem.

The only thing that surprises me, is that there is not more activity arround this bug. Is no one using his gnome-terminal in LMDE?? Or is everyone who is using LMDE anyway such a linux pro that he is maintaining his .bashrc himself and such an issue is that obvious that they don't even go online for it..
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kaefert wrote:The only thing that surprises me, is that there is not more activity arround this bug. Is no one using his gnome-terminal in LMDE?? Or is everyone who is using LMDE anyway such a linux pro that he is maintaining his .bashrc himself and such an issue is that obvious that they don't even go online for it..
The thing that surprises me more is that it's not mentioned that the terminal also loses colors after update. I thought it's much easier to spot than the partial completion issue...
Here's a thread about it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=99254
kaefert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kaefert »

Monsta wrote:The thing that surprises me more is that it's not mentioned that the terminal also loses colors after update. I thought it's much easier to spot than the partial completion issue...
Here's a thread about it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=99254
gg, well for me the system that helps my bad memory is more important than beautiful colors ;) But thanks for the link, gonna look at it

Return to “LMDE Archive”