[Solved by reinstalling]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WhatUsernameIsFree?

[Solved by reinstalling]

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? »

Hi all,

I updated my system using the LMDE Update Program, locked the screen (as I had to walk away from the computer), when I returned the screen was all messed up (moved the mouse made it flicker on and off, typing liker wise). I switched into a terminal by using ctrl alt f1 and checked what was running with ps -e. I saw that the mint update program was "<defunct>" or something like that. I left it 10 minutes hoping it would finish updating then rebooted the PC with sudo reboot. The computer now refuses to boot, showing just a _ in the top left hand screen.

I booted into recovery mode and tried "aptitude update" but it has no internet connection and then "aptitude upgrade" and it told me to try something like "aptitude upgrade --a" (it's not on the screen now so not sure what it asked). Point is, it's still broken.

How can I recover my system. My home partition is encrypted and don't want to lose it.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LMDE Mint Update Program - System Now Not Booting

Post by Monsta »

WhatUsernameIsFree? wrote:I booted into recovery mode and tried "aptitude update" but it has no internet connection
Oops :shock:
Well, at least the console is available. Try running (as root):

Code: Select all

service networking restart
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Hi,

Booted into recovery mode to get a console and tried that, but it will only start the "lo" connection. If I could get the network I'm 99% sure I could fix this by updating and upgrading with aptitude.
äxl

Post by äxl »

I guess this has a similar output

Code: Select all

ifconfig
There are many tutorials how to setup network. This is the most complicated I know.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=1&chap=3 ;)
Some like net-setup only works for Gentoo.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Reinstalled so this particular problem isn't around at the moment.

Return to “LMDE Archive”