Updating LMDE safely

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fida1989

Updating LMDE safely

Post by fida1989 »

What is the safest way to updating LMDE safely using mintUpdate? :?: As i have seen in many posts, many people faced various breakdowns after update. :? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Updating LMDE safely

Post by äxl »

Safest way is not to use it. I don't know how it's going after the latest debian-system-adjustments but I still use the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -d dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
First line is to update the source cache, second will download the applicable packages and the third will install them.
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

I wish I knew the answer to that. My system completely died last night while I was using MintUpdate. I reinstalled this morning using the previous installation files (via flash-drive), but that was LMDE as at last September (I think). Accumulated updates since then have been running for the past 11 hours and still show nearly an hour to go.

What I would REALLY like is some sort of way to take a snapshot of my existing LMDE, taken immediately before I start MintUpdate, which I can transfer to a flash-drive, so that I have an easy re-start point if something goes wrong.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Tony.B wrote:I wish I knew the answer to that. My system completely died last night while I was using MintUpdate. I reinstalled this morning using the previous installation files (via flash-drive), but that was LMDE as at last September (I think). Accumulated updates since then have been running for the past 11 hours and still show nearly an hour to go.

What I would REALLY like is some sort of way to take a snapshot of my existing LMDE, taken immediately before I start MintUpdate, which I can transfer to a flash-drive, so that I have an easy re-start point if something goes wrong.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &hilit=qt4
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

Thank you for that link. Hopefully this will help others too.

Return to “LMDE Archive”