Can only log in "Gnome classic" after update

Post your update and upgrade related errors here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can only log in "Gnome classic" after update

Postby dimi on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:06 am

I did the mintupdate via update manager. As I read here now, that wasn't a good idea, lesson learnt. ;)
After the update, which popped up some errors, cannot remember which ones, I can only log in "Gnome classic".
I removed (purge) the 3.2 kernel and re-installed it via apt-get. And I did the same for the mintupdate. I also installed cinnamon and mate.
Now I can only log in with Mate or Gnome Classic. Cinnamon or the regular Gnome gives an error, saying it has run into an unresolvable error. I have an installation in Dutch, not sure if it is useful to post the error message here.

I am kind of stuck as to how to troubleshoot this. So any help is greatly appreciated.
I've Googled and looked on the forum here, but haven't found anything that works for me.
dimi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can only log in "Gnome classic" after update

Postby zerozero on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:21 am

the problem is not mintupdate (no need to remove it and reinstall it again) neither is the new kernel (so the same: no need to remove and reinstall it), that "error" is graphics card related: cinnamon and gnome-shell are depending on 3D acceleration, not mate and gnome-classic.

so, check your drivers (are they installed at all? are they properly installed?) check the graphics card, the problem comes from there.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby dimi on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Code: Select all
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1366x768@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series  GLX Version 1.4 (2.1 (4.2.11318 Compatibility Profile Context)) Direct Rendering No

Not sure how to check my drivers.
I installed the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Display Driver - Linux x86 & Linux x86_64 from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx. But that didn't change anything.
Not sure what else to try. Any help is appreciated.
dimi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:16 pm

see the end of the output of the inxi -Gx, it says "direct rendering no" - that is bad news, in order to have 3D acceleration it has to say "yes"

the problem is, you are using ATI and i have no experience at all with it (only nvidia here), so someone else has to come in and help you. :(
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby dimi on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 am

OK, thanks!
I'll look around a bit more. But appart from the AMD Catalyst driver I haven't found anything.
dimi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby äxl on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:56 am

dimi, what documentation did you follow?
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dimi on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I didn't follow any documentation, just downloaded and installed the drivers.
I guess it would have been a better idea to remove the current drivers first.

BTW. I just noticed it says Yes to Direct Rendering now. But still can only log in with Mate.
$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series] X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1366x768@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series  GLX Version 4.2.11566 Compatibility Profile Context Direct Rendering Yes
dimi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ale_ngr on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

Hi, same problem.
All good till one hour ago,after reboot can only log in gnome classic and mate.
Trying to log in cinnamon or shell starts automatically gnome classic. :?
Even worse any video player shows a black screen during movies playback (audio and web-streaming video are ok)

may be a loss of 3D acceleration, probably a graphic driver issue, i could have bleachBitted something away by mistake....

~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card Intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1024x768@75.1hz
           GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2 Direct Rendering Yes

direct rendering is fine ...
any suggestion?
if anybody out there has any idea on how to restore problematic graphic drivers would be great.

thanx and good luck
ale_ngr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Update/Upgrade Issues