No File Manager or Terminal under Preferred Applications

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kbaltrinic

No File Manager or Terminal under Preferred Applications

Post by kbaltrinic »

I am not sure this is upgrade related but I believe the problem first appeared after I ran a apt-get update on April 6.

The command output was lengthy but ended with the following lines:
Processing triggers for menu ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
debian-system-adjustments
mint-meta-common
mint-meta-xfce
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thereafter the terminal icon and file manager icon in my root system menu stopped working. When I clicked on either, they would bring up an dialog to choose a application. The drop down list of apps to choose from is empty in both cases except for the "Other..." option that brings up a file dialog.

If I open the Preferred Applications under the Settings menu, the Internet tab "seems" ok (Chrome is listed as my browser but no other options are listed. No options are listed for mail reader but I don't care. On the Utilities tab, again no options other that "other" appear for the File Manager and the Termnal Emulator.

I was able to use whereis to find Thunar and put it in for the File Manager but the terminal I had to do some guessing is /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal correct? Any idea what might have happened?

uname
Linux mint 3.0.0-1-amd64

cat /etc/issue
Linux Mint Xfce Edition
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: No File Manager or Terminal under Preferred Applications

Post by äxl »

Do you have the latest debian-system-adjustments (2012.04.18) installed?
Or you could try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
kbaltrinic wrote:root system menu stopped working.
Never heard of that. Is that an XFCE feature?
the Internet tab "seems" ok (Chrome is listed as my browser but no other options are listed.
Similar problem for me with MATE. "Custom" is greyed out.
xfce4-terminal seems correct.

Code: Select all

apt-cache search xfce terminal

Return to “LMDE Archive”