Hibernate and Standby not working.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules

Hibernate and Standby not working.

Postby Kanode on Sun May 13, 2012 5:58 am

Hello,

I hope I post this in the right section^^.

I'm a brand new LMDE Users and I like it quite a lot. I have tried some distributions in the last few years (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Arch Linux), but I like Mint the most so far because it just works^^. I was really that almost everything was just working out of the box... Never experienced that with a Linux before ;). But don't overestimate my Linux-knowledge, it is still pretty basic because I could never use a Linux for a long time because of technical issues. Just treat me as a newbie :).

But unfortunately not everything works so far. As the thread name states, Hibernate and Standby are not working for me. When I click either one of them, my PC shuts down as he should, but immediately restarts. And he seems to run into an endless-loop while startup when I choose hibernate so I have to switch my PC off. Standby doesn't hang at startup, but it just boots the PC normally and nothing gets restarted. It is as if I would have rebooted the PC.

Regarding my system: I have 8 GB RAM, so I created a 10GB big swap partition, to make sure Hibernate is working properly. And my mainboard comes with UEFI, I don't know if this is important or not. And of course my system is updated ;).

I hope someone can help my with my problem. If you need any further information, please let me now :).

Regards,
Kanode
Kanode
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hibernate and Standby not working.

Postby äxl on Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 pm

There were several problems reported in this forum with either kernel or module problems.
Have you tried another kernel or graphics driver?
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Kanode on Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 am

I recently installed another graphics driver and replaced Galium3D with the proprietary Nvidia driver. No change though. I tried no other kernel.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Kanode
Kanode
Level 1
Level 1

Postby äxl on Mon May 28, 2012 5:20 am

If it's really unbearable you could install an older kernel from Debian.org. There is still 2.6.32 in the repositories.
http://packages.debian.org/linux-image-2.6.32
Compare with uname -a what you need.
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby on4aa on Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am

on4aa
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions