LMDE Boot Faster

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
chantaspell

LMDE Boot Faster

Post by chantaspell »

Hi

I have just installed LMDE 64bit on my core i7 laptop and it runs great! Much smoother than ubuntu (which, after a week I just found too buggy still). My only gripe is that LMDE boots rather slowly...almost half a minute slower than ubuntu.

So far I have used BUM to stop a few services that i dont need....bluetooth etc...but is there anything else I can do? Have a feeling I probably don't need some aspects of the OS but don't wanna disable anything critical.

Also, would it boot faster if I installed it to a USB3 memory stick? (I dont mean run from a live USB, but actually install it on USB stick)

Many thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AJ1000

Re: LMDE Boot Faster

Post by AJ1000 »

I agree, Linux Mint Maya is considerably faster to boot up and shut down. Currently prefer LMDE 13 as Compiz and Conky work much better in LMDE.

Any tips for speeding up startup and shutdown?
itoffshore

Post by itoffshore »

Look at E4Rat to speed up boot times. This is one of the reasons Antix Linux is so fast to start.
chantaspell

Post by chantaspell »

Hi ioffshore...thanks for the suggestion but it didn't make any difference running e4rat. The boot time is exactly the same...does it def work in mint debian? Should I have done something different I wonder? I followed instructions http://www.howtogeek.com/69753/how-to-c ... 4rat/]here and didnt get any error messages. Any ideas?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I usually remove some services: such as avahi, bluetooth (no bluetooth devices), modem-manager (don't connect via a modem or cell network)
  • --and I often use rcconf to look at the system services, seeing what I can stop, for example if I seldom had a printer connected, I wouldn't start the cupsd
  • --don't use rcconf (unless you added the apps to provide the full sysV setup) on lmde, best to use services control: there is a gui for that on the desktop..

And I turn off all selections for controlling mountable volumes [x], they still mount, since udev is running

I also, when I turn off a service, look under the package manager (I still find synaptic simpler, to find and remove packages) than any of the others available..
    --I then look for the service name I removed and see what I can remove via the package manager.

I would like to get rid of mono, but banshee uses it as part of the default installation, maybe that's a hangover from Ubuntu, which seems to have started that approach..
    --so I could trim it down quite a bit

And finally, I always use the propriety graphics card drivers if available, in my case nvidia: the latest driver version worked fine
    --that does speed up the graphics startup of the desktop.

There are a few other items, I want to check
    • glibnetwork
    • miniisdpd
      --which are being started as services under LMDE..
      unattended updates
      --I always turn that OFF
Last edited by DrHu on Tue May 22, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

chantaspell wrote:Hi ioffshore...thanks for the suggestion but it didn't make any difference running e4rat. The boot time is exactly the same...does it def work in mint debian? Should I have done something different I wonder? I followed instructions http://www.howtogeek.com/69753/how-to-c ... 4rat/]here and didnt get any error messages. Any ideas?
it works for me here on LMDE 64 bit. but i must admit it seemed to have a bigger effect when i was running straight debian.
itoffshore

Post by itoffshore »

Follow the instructions from Lifehacker or follow the #! thread here

You probably have not profiled your boot with:

Code: Select all

init=/sbin/e4rat-collect
Yes it definitely works on Debian
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I've found that e4rat makes little difference to the time to boot to the desktop (35 seconds with or without it), but that it certainly speeds up the loading of my chosen applications just after that. Running LMDE Xfce 64-bit.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

BootProcessSpeedup - Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/BootProcessSpeedup

Debian User Forums • View topic - HowTo Speed Up Boot & Increase Responsiveness (Desktop) - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=31275

Note that both of the above are a bit old and some of the info does not apply.

Changing to systemd can also help.

Unless you are tracking sid, you can use
sysv-rc-conf - SysV init runlevel configuration tool for the terminal
to turn off unneeded services.
äxl

Post by äxl »

Return to “LMDE Archive”