Install does not work,it freezes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Buddha

Install does not work,it freezes

Post by Buddha »

i tried to install this all day,i partitoned everything alright but the install always freezes!

Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Install does not work,it freezes

Post by xenopeek »

Can you, while booted from the installation disc, run the following command from the terminal and share its output here? Will tell us a little about your machine's hardware.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxc 0
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

xenopeek wrote:Can you, while booted from the installation disc, run the following command from the terminal and share its output here? Will tell us a little about your machine's hardware.

inxi -Fxc 0

System:    Host mint Kernel 3.2.0-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-UP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips 6383.6 clocked at 2400.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.11.4 Res: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 965Q x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci v: 2.3.0 BusID: 07:04.0
           Card-2 Intel 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection driver e1000e v: 1.5.1-k at port 1000 BusID: 00:19.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda ST3160812AS 160.0GB 22C 
Partition: ID:/ size: 498M used: 22M (5%) fs: rootfs 
Info:      Processes 121 Uptime 5 min Memory 216.5/994.2MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23

i also dont know where to install grub,once i didnt install grub and the installation finished with no errors,but when i restarted the computer it didnt start cuz there were no grub.

I install it on /dev/sda
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure why the installation would freeze. It is not an issue with insufficient memory, which I though could be the cause (that sometimes happens, can be remedied by setting up swap before installing).
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

xenopeek wrote:I'm not sure why the installation would freeze. It is not an issue with insufficient memory, which I though could be the cause (that sometimes happens, can be remedied by setting up swap before installing).
is it possible if the dvd has some errors,or that it was burned incorrectly? But i dont think so.

Is it this because i install burg wrong?

i partitioned everything right,i even gave linux swap 5 gb,root 5 gb,boot 600 mb and home folder 130 gb

but i think that the burg is causing this problem,in which sda/dev should i install it
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You would normally install the bootloader to /dev/sda. I have no clue how you install burg though, don't you have to do that after installing the main system?
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

xenopeek wrote:You would normally install the bootloader to /dev/sda. I have no clue how you install burg though, don't you have to do that after installing the main system?
ok sorry i messed up :/ i meant grub. Well i think that there is something wrong with the disc,will try to burn it again.
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

I am also having a problem with the new installer on the new ISO
The disc check says its OK but it gets to the end of the install and either crashes or freezes
This is happening at the point where it is Removing live configuration packages.
This system ran LMDE up until update 4 when I had Cinnamon and Mate problems and gave up using it.
Now after the new ISO I thought let's try again, but at present the new mint installer will not install.
Any bright ideas as how to get LMDE back on here or is it sit around and wait for another ISO time
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

Ralf1e wrote:I am also having a problem with the new installer on the new ISO
The disc check says its OK but it gets to the end of the install and either crashes or freezes
This is happening at the point where it is Removing live configuration packages.
This system ran LMDE up until update 4 when I had Cinnamon and Mate problems and gave up using it.
Now after the new ISO I thought let's try again, but at present the new mint installer will not install.
Any bright ideas as how to get LMDE back on here or is it sit around and wait for another ISO time
ok it is working for me now :D :D :D :D i re-downloaded the iso and burn it with http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/bur ... on-windows

also make shure that you partitioned everything right:
here is a tut http://helpsite.org/linux-mint-debian-edition/
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

Well you are the lucky one lol
I have made 3 copies of the new ISO so far on 2 different machines
2 were using K Torrent and one a straight download from a mirror and for good measure I tried one on the new Linuxmint 13 and it did exactly the same thing crashed at the point of Removing live config packages.
Just for good measure a second time I tried my old copy of LMDE dated 7/4/11 and it installed but due to the repo changes and the update packs which seem to point back to each other I cant upgrade it.
Nice idea just didn't work.
You do remind me that I once bunt an ISO disc with one application and if failed so having tried again I tried another linux burning program
One was K3b which I used today and the other was Brasero.
Cant remember which one failed though.
I dont like giving up I loved LMDE and may be forced to miss it until the installer gets back on par
Jepyb

Post by Jepyb »

I was trying to install Linux Mint 14 XFCE 64 bits under VMware Workstation 9 and I had the same freeze problem during installation.
But when I entered a password instead of automatic login it worked...
Strange as I made the same installation on a USB key with automatic login and it worked.
Hope it can help some of you.
claurita

Post by claurita »

I can confirm this strange behaviour on mint LMDE 201303 mate 64 bit.
I tried three times unsuccessfully to install, before finding Jepyb's post.
Without autologin, entering explicitly as user 'mint' (no password needed), finally it worked.
Thanks Jepyb.

Claudio
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

I ALWAYS indicate a user password and ALWAYS require it to be entered - I'm just that way. I've had the LMDE 201303 Cinnamon install stall a few times about 1/2 through the file copy process. And, when it stalls, everything locks up; the only thing working is moving the mouse but mouse clicks don't do anything. I just hit the reset button (it's a desktop) and start over and that usually gets the job done.

BTW - this sounds like I've installed it lots of times and, in fact, I have. I'm still learning and I tend to really bork things up. I'm in the process of finding a good partition cloner to make this easier.

BTW2 - I wrote the iso to a 4GB USB card using the command:

sudo dd if=/home/scott/Downloads/lmde_LiveCD.iso of=/dev/sdg bs=40M
I don't remember the name of the iso, but you get the point. Using this command you HAVE to wait until all the writing is done. Don't pull the USB right after the command returns. Give it some time to flush the buffers (I guess that's what's going on).

Return to “LMDE Archive”