[SOLVED]NWN On Linux/General Troubleshooting

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED]NWN On Linux/General Troubleshooting

Postby ananmad on Wed May 23, 2012 8:45 pm

So recently I installed the Game Neverwinter Nights using the instructions here:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... ex/4643217

It works for the most part.
What happens is that I start up the game (in a root terminal), and everything is great [what I mean is, the sound is fine, the graphics are just fine - nothing out of the ordinary]. Until I try to play the campaign, at which point the game immediately closes out with no error messages or anything.

My question is (before I go and post on their forums), where exactly do I start in finding out what exactly the problem is? I guess what I'm saying is, if you were a guru at LMDE, where would you start on your search for finding out what's going on?

Why would an application (run by ./(application)) suddenly quit out? Is there some type of log attached to this?
Sorry for such a general question, no, I don't necessarily want help on the game itself, more on 'what would you do if this happened to you'.
Thank you for your time.

[SOLUTION]
Thanks to another Linux user on another forum, he informed me that the place you would look is:

dmesg
syslog

I know enough about Linux now to know how to open these.
What you have to do is get in your terminal, and make your way to the var/logs folder.
Then you:
Code: Select all
sudo gedit dmesg/syslog

There you go: the general places to find out where general errors occur.
Gratz.
ananmad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions