Why do I need to do this shell command to get pulseaudio to

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Why do I need to do this shell command to get pulseaudio to

Postby venom104 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Why do I need to do this shell command to get pulseaudio to work properly?

Okay, I've been playing diablo 3 under wine recently. Every time I play the sound goes out after about 2 minutes, and I can't get sound from anything on my computer.

The fix for this is to put
Code: Select all
rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound* ~/.pulse-cookie
in my ~/.profile file and in the script that starts up diablo 3.

I think pulseaudio is pulling junk settings off of some global configuration file. I've been trying to google this, and all the files that I find are empty. What do I need to erase or do to not run this command every time I start diablo 3?
venom104
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why do I need to do this shell command to get pulseaudio

Postby äxl on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:08 am

If I understand it correctly pulse* comes from PulseAudio and asound* from ALSA. Maybe you could remove one of it.
But then maybe some other sound might not work. If you have the rm in a script it's pretty much automated anyway ...
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions