MATE Configuration Editor?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

MATE Configuration Editor?

Postby deviceguru on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Maybe it was something I did wrong in my testing of LMDE 201204, but I couldn't find a way to adjust the set of system icons that showed up on my MATE desktop, i.e. the Computer, Home, Trash, Network icons. In normal Mint, there's a mintDesktop tool which provides a "Desktop Settings" panel for controlling the system desktop icons, and I think dconf-editor does it in gnome 3.

Eventually, I discovered that MATE has a MateConf Editor tool that provides easy MATE settings database editing capabilities. It can be downloaded via "apt-get install mate-conf-editor," and can be launched by typing "mateconf-editor" on the command line. It also shows up in MATE's menu as "Configuration Editor" after installation, with a red icon and description of "Directly edit your configuration database."

Using MateConf Editor, you can enable/disable the desktop icons by navigating to apps > caja > desktop.

Perhaps the pkg mate-conf-editor should be added to the standard MATE iso? Or is there a better alternative?

cheers,
Rick
p.s. you can find my just-published review of MATE 201204 at http://deviceguru.com/my-week-with-debian
deviceguru
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MATE Configuration Editor?

Postby mitchbw on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks Rick, :D
Just what I after.

I found the dconf method wouldn't work for me.

I still feel there should be a more .. conventional method for altering the settings.
mitchbw
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions