[SOLVED]normal (for me) volume control behavior

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED]normal (for me) volume control behavior

Postby wm_domino on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:17 am

i was hoping someone could help me return the mixer plugin on xfce default to operate like the one in cinnamon, ubuntu or windoze.

i have had no additional issues with pulse working on my card (in recent past i had to hack away pulse audio and enable alsa to get audio to work).

i'd like access to advanced mixer controls, but from the panel mixer icon i really need a quick slider for volume and hopefully a mute check box.

thanks in advance.
Last edited by wm_domino on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novice pc user just trying to make mint work for me
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: normal (for me) volume control behavior

Postby titetanium on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Perhaps you could try installing pavucontrol, I think that's the name of the pulseaudio mixer program. If it doesn't start with your install, locate the pavucontrol.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and copy it into /etc/xdg/autostart.
I don't have it as I removed pulseaudio completely in favor of alsa and installed gnome-alsamixer which gives me all the sliders as well the mute checkbox. If you insist on using pulseaudio, I can't really help u with that beyond what I just gave u. Alternatively, u could open a terminal and run sudo alsamixer and adjust the sliders across the board, then run sudo alsactl store before closing the terminal so that it sticks across reboots.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions