Permissions Issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abtygwyn

Permissions Issue

Post by abtygwyn »

I've been using LMDE for a while now but haven't changed mt setup much recently.

I decided to change a theme the other day and was refused permission to extract the file to the directory. I remembered having to open files with root authority (or whatever) before so back tracked but can't find any setting to do this. Am I being thick here, or have things changed and I'm just not aware of them. I have a bad cold at the moment, so that's a good excuse for my brain not working but it strikes me that this has got to be something simple, but I just can't see it.

Any suggestions please!

Andrew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Permissions Issue

Post by zerozero »

[moved here]
i guess you are referring to the handy "open as administrator" right-click context-menu in nautilus? yeahh that one is gone :twisted: the gnome masters decided that was too dangerous :lol: for a regular user to have around, so they removed it in this new nautilus.

if you need root permissions (like in this situation to move themes to share/themes) you now have to start nautilus as gksu nautilus and work as root in there (unsafe but has to be for now)
abtygwyn

Post by abtygwyn »

zerozero wrote:[moved here]
i guess you are referring to the handy "open as administrator" right-click context-menu in nautilus? yeahh that one is gone :twisted: the gnome masters decided that was too dangerous :lol: for a regular user to have around, so they removed it in this new nautilus.

if you need root permissions (like in this situation to move themes to share/themes) you now have to start nautilus as gksu nautilus and work as root in there (unsafe but has to be for now)
Thanks as ever for the speedy and accurate response. I guess now I know I will be as dangerous as I was before!! ahhhhhhhh

Andrew
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

abtygwyn wrote:...I guess now I know I will be as dangerous as I was before!! ahhhhhhhh
And we'll still be "here" to help protect you from yourself. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”