gksu gedit ... returns errors on xfce[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

gksu gedit ... returns errors on xfce[SOLVED]

Postby wm_domino on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:45 pm

it will eventually open the file, but i do not have the ability to save changes.

if i type: gksu gedit /etc/fstab into the terminal window the following messages appear:

(gedit:1948): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

(gedit:1948): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.AB9EGW': No such file or directory

(gedit:1948): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:1948): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.NQV5FW': No such file or directory

(gedit:1948): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

should this be run through root terminal instead?
Last edited by wm_domino on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novice pc user just trying to make mint work for me
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: gksu gedit ... returns errors on xfce

Postby Sonsum on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Perhaps this is the improper way to do this, but why not
Code: Select all
sudo gedit
It's always worked for me!
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Postby wm_domino on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:44 pm

it does work.

i was only following directions exactly ... been having issues doing things and although i didn't consider such things the particular hurdle, i'm down to looking into any blip.

now the question is can i sub the commands w/out any issues?
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Postby altair4 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 pm

sudo - allows one to run a command as root
gksu - is the gtk front end for running sudo and is used when you need to run a graphical application as root.

One should try to avoid running gedit as sudo since it will eventually cause corruption. From RootSudo: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
Graphical sudo

You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as Root. You should use gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets HOME=~root, and copies .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming owned by Root. (AFAICT, this is all that's special about the environment of the started process with gksudo vs. sudo).

And in Debian / Ubuntu / Mint gksu = gksudo.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby wm_domino on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 pm

so when i go to install numlockx, instead of:

sudo apt-get install numlockx

i should:

gksudo apt-get install numlockx

? that is provided i'm on debian xfce correct?
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Postby altair4 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:38 pm

apt-get is a command you are running in a terminal to perform a particular job so it's "sudo apt-get"

gksu is run from the terminal to invoke a graphical application so it's "gksu gedit"

And gksu or gksudo is the same thing in Debian and all of it's derivatives:
ls -l /usr/bin/gksudo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2010-05-18 07:19 /usr/bin/gksudo -> gksu

One is a symbolic link to the other.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby wm_domino on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

got it, thanks!!
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions