simple file share procedure clean-up[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

simple file share procedure clean-up[SOLVED]

Postby wm_domino on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:00 pm

all went well for me i believe this round, i'd love to know how to remove the now uneeded "windows network" folder

or is this another one of those things best left alone because it'll cause issue with x ?

thanks in advance!
Last edited by wm_domino on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novice pc user just trying to make mint work for me
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: simple file share procedure clean-up

Postby altair4 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 pm

all went well for me i believe this round, i'd love to know how to remove the now uneeded "windows network" folder

You don't want to remove the unwanted "windows network". Thats where your workgroups should be and within those workgroups should be the hosts. The reason you are seeing hosts listed disassociated from their workgroups is a fluke. Learn to live with it.

The error message is a rather odd one though. Well, the error message isn't odd - it happens quite a lot. In fact I wrote a howto on it. The oddity is that a "failed to retrieve share list from server" indicates a host name resolution problem in your network or possibly a firewall in the way. Yet I'm assuming all your hosts are listed in the first screen. I don't think I've ever seen both of those things happening at the same time.

Based on the description of how your system is running on some of your other posts though you should be getting used to these anomalies by now. :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Re: simple file share procedure clean-up

Postby wm_domino on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:55 pm

lol, yes, i keep running into them ... thanks again!!
novice pc user just trying to make mint work for me
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions