to gigolo or not - simple version?[SOLVED = yes]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

to gigolo or not - simple version?[SOLVED = yes]

Post by wm_domino »

i've been using these instructions for some time now, they have been invaluable to me.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144

i want this machine to be able to access shares across the network regardless of what os is running and quite a few other things, but aside from the loads of questions i have about mounting, shouldn't i use fstab to mount any location provided it's at least semi permanent always on and mount on boot (local & remote networks as well)?

i've assumed i've needed to use gigolo mostly due to my idiocy, but also easy access to settings like auto-mount at boot local winshares ... and although i haven't been able to do it, mount a winshare on a diff ip.

your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: to gigolo or not - simple version?

Post by altair4 »

A word of advice: When you post a question you should point out that you are running XFCE on LMDE. There are things that Nautilus can do, like bookmark a remote share, that Thunar cannot.

Anywho, you keep linking to one of my HowTo's forcing me to respond :wink:
i want this machine to be able to access shares across the network regardless of what os is running and quite a few other things, but aside from the loads of questions i have about mounting, shouldn't i use fstab to mount any location provided it's at least semi permanent always on and mount on boot (local & remote networks as well)?
Gigolo can do all those things you described so is the question which method is better - Gigolo or fstab?

There is no right answer. Gigolo is not a better way it's just another way. I used to exclusively mount shares through fstab - until I discovered Gigolo. It mounts automatically at login and it works around a lot of issues that the classic fstab method has:

** Because of boot timing issues an fstab mount of a share might fail if fstab is executed before the network is up. Gigolo will wait for the network to be up and even wait for the server to be running before it mounts.

** Conversely, the system may stall at shutdown if the network is shut down before the share is unmounted. Since Gigolo works in user space it unmounts the share when the user logs off which happens before the network is shut down.

** There's also the complexity associated with permissions that you have to set correctly in an fstab mount of a share that is taken care of automatically by Gigolo. Actually, that's not so much Gigolo itself as it's the underlying "gvfs-mount smb://" that Gigolo executes but still ...

I don't know if you can tell this or not but I really like Gigolo. :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wm_domino

Re: to gigolo or not - simple version?

Post by wm_domino »

your insight & explanations have been refreshing, thank you once again and i'll leave you be the rest of the night i promise.

i've been loving on gigolo too, stopped me from tracking down a slew of other issues i kept making.

i appreciate your time and patience greatly!

Return to “LMDE Archive”