fresh install lmde xfce has buggered audio

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

fresh install lmde xfce has buggered audio

Postby wm_domino on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 am

i've posted about internal problems trying to make this work, but i'd very much like a real fix for this.

this is the last part of the problem for me:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=105743

but my main concern is related to this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=104507

but this time i can't do the "install a dozen media player" part nor do i have any interest in doing that, so all i can really say is i don't think pulseaudio works oob.

i've followed at least a 1/2 dozen uninstall pulseaudio threads and not 1 of them completely removed it.

can't seem to get/find an official answer as to how to fix this nor as to what i should be using (after hacking out pulseaudio i never had any real issues using alsa .. and didn't SEEM to have any issues if i reinstalled pulseaudio).

please help as this has been my #2 os crash point and aside from the slider control, i never had any issues with this on previous spins or distros.

here is what is indicating the issues for me currently:

1) the panel icon is greyed out, and i have no controls visible (so just what am i supposed to select for sound card & controls) but i still hear music when i play a .mp3 with banshee (previously i had to hack out pulseaudio in order to hear anything, but could not say as to why i don't now).

2) if i open /usr/share/sounds and play a file with banshee, it plays; however, if i go to my login window preferences - accessibility tab and select a sound and try to play it, bupkiss.

3) if i open banshee and adjust the volume using it's slider control i get some odd behavior from the notification box for the sound card/mixer .. if banshee's volume is at 3% the notification will indicate the volume is at a whopper 87% - and it reaches 100% when banshee volume level is at 22% .. and it's different every time i boot, but consistently starts around 75-85%.

i seriously never had an issue with audio before lmde xfce spin before this one that's posted last, some real help here would be awesome!
novice pc user just trying to make mint work for me
wm_domino
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions