Some applications only accept old password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Some applications only accept old password

Postby mark1mint on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 am

Hi there,a while ago I've changed my login password in Mintdebian,as a result now some applications (like Synaptic) are still asking for the old password:this being kinda annoying as I now have to play around with two passwords,is there any way to retstore normal operation? If fiddling with Users and Groups doesn't allow me to do this,is there maybe some file that I can directly edit?
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some applications only accept old password

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:09 am

How did you go about changing the password?
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jjaythomas on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:50 pm

It happened to me years ago (so I,m carefull not to change administrtors password anymore :oops: )

if I remember it was because I changed the 'users' (that had admi rights) but not the 'root password. Some apps when ask for sudo rights only need the 'users password' others want the actual 'root password'. :roll: Their was a CLI comand (terminal) way to reset root I was told.

search this forum (can't remember if on Mint or other Distro? sorry

I 'caved' and switched my password back. :oops:

sorry no help,
but hopefully
pointed in the
right direction
J.Jay
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mark1mint on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:36 pm

jjaythomas wrote:if I remember it was because I changed the 'users' (that had admi rights) but not the 'root password. Some apps when ask for sudo rights only need the 'users password' others want the actual 'root password'. :roll:

Yes,that sounds a lot like what I may have done :oops: ... frankly,all these different password and permissions thing is still a bit confusing for me.

jjaythomas wrote:Their was a CLI comand (terminal) way to reset root I was told.

That's probably what I need to do now,unless there's an easier way to reset my root password..
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:38 pm

You can use "sudo passwd root" to change root password. There is not one by default in Linux Mint and it is not necessary, so I don't think you need to create one.

You can use just use "passwd" in terminal as regular user to change your current password.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jjaythomas on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 pm

I believe

Ubuntu and derivatives (aka Mints) set the administrative (root?) during install to the 1st users password. But if you change the 'Users' password later (in Users and groups GUI) the administration password stays the same.

Try making User a administrator (in 'Users and Groups)?

Maybe solve
J.Jay

P.S. GUI junky :mrgreen:
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions