Network and Suspend Issues

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Network and Suspend Issues

Postby kefka on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm currently experiencing a rather weird problem. I have an Aspire One 722. I have done everything necessary to get wireless working on the laptop, and it works perfectly. However, I have a strange problem connecting to a network at all after I suspend the computer. When I wake up from the suspend, everything looks fine, and all the possible wired and wireless connections are showing, but I cannot connect to them; If i try, I get spammed with the message "Wireless Network Disconnected" every 10 seconds or so. :? The only way to access a network is to reboot the computer.

I have seen that other people have had similar problems, but none of the solutions on the forum (or on any forum for that matter) have worked. I understand that wireless has problems on this laptop, but wireless works on a fresh reboot, so I'm at a loss.
kefka
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network and Suspend Issues

Postby Sonsum on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:45 pm

From what I've found, a lot of 12.04 Ubuntu counterparts can't get this laptop to resume from suspend at all.

I'm not sure if it will help your problem, but here's some useful Debian information regarding your laptop.

http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Acer/AspireOne_722
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Network and Suspend Issues

Postby titetanium on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi,

If you have powertop, open a terminal and run it as sudo. If you don't have it, install it and then run sudo powertop in a terminal. Press the right arrow until tunables is showing. Look for the line "wireless powersaving for interface wlan0", wlan0 being what your wireless interface is called. Click on that line by pressing spacebar so it says bad. Press esc. Try suspending and resuming. It should have no problems connecting.

For a more permanent fix, you need to edit a certain file to turn wireless powersaving off globally. It should be /etc/pm/power.d/wireless, look for the block with this code:
Code: Select all
case $1 in
    true) wireless_powersave off ;;
    false) wireless_powersave off ;;
    *) exit $NA ;;
esac
and make sure the block looks exactly like this. If you don't have that file, copy it from /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/wireless and paste it into /etc/pm/power.d. Reboot and wireless will stick across suspend and hibernate.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions