[SOLVED] LMDE-64bit Backup Image question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] LMDE-64bit Backup Image question

Postby mack_mcash on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Hey, all.

I have just installed LMDE-64bit, with the partition map as follows:

sda6 /boot ext2
sda7 /swap
sda8 / ext4
sda9 /home ext4

I want to make an image of this setup using, Clonezilla-64bit live disk.

When I do make the backup, will I need to make a separate image for each partition, except for the swap file? I was thinking that I'd only need to image the "/" partition only, but not sure.

This seems like a 'dumb' question to me, but alas, I just don't know the answer to this query.

Thank you for your time,
mack :)
Last edited by mack_mcash on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mack_mcash
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE-64bit Backup Image question

Postby glenn4uk on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Mack,

With clonezilla you can choose to image either an entire disk or individual partitions that you select.
glenn4uk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mack_mcash on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 pm

glenn4uk wrote:Mack,

With clonezilla you can choose to image either an entire disk or individual partitions that you select.

Thanks for the reply, glenn4uk :) I appreciate your answer.

I realize that with clonezilla, I do have the option of either imaging the entire disk or individual partitions, but do I need to make an image of the /boot and /home partitions in addition to the / partition?
I think that I would need to image all three partitions, "/" /boot and /home, in order to have the complete system intact, in case I would need to restore.

Thanks, again, mack :wink:
mack_mcash
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mack_mcash on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

Code: Select all
I think that I would need to image all three partitions, "/" /boot and /home, in order to have the complete system intact, in case I would need to restore.

After all is installed and configured, make an image with "clonezilla", and select all three, or more partitions, in the image file. (select multiple partitions by using the space-bar to select)

All is good...

mack
mack_mcash
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions