LMDE Gnome 3 default behavior?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LMDE Gnome 3 default behavior?

Postby globetrotterdk on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 am

I would like to install LMDE on my new netbook, but would like the default GNOME 3 behavior as the Gnome developers intended, without the Mint menu, Cinnamon, MATE, etc. Is that possible?
Acer Aspire One 725.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE Gnome 3 default behavior?

Postby viking777 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 am

Yes that is possible, but you will have to add it to the Mate version after install.

Once the mate version is installed just go into the package manager and install gnome-shell then choose that at boot up. If you want to you can then remove Mate or leave it in place in case you ever get any faults with gnome-shell that cause it to not boot. (Two of everything on a computer is a good idea).

If you are new to LMDE be sure to have a read through zerozero's LMDE Faq:

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405

It might even deal with the very question you ask I am not sure.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby globetrotterdk on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm

OK, thanks. I read the LMDE faq as well as the LMDE stable faq. So, installing the gnome-shell installs a complete Gnome 3 environment? There may some issues with driver support, as I would be installing LMDE on my new Acer Aspire One 725 netbook. Will drivers be available in LMDE as default or will I need to find a backport kernel that I can install? I believe the computer has what is called an AMD Brazero chipset with an AMD C-60 1 GHz processor (AMD A50M), AMD Radeon HD 6290 (1366 x 768), Broadcom BCM43228 [14e4:4359], and an Elantech touchpad.
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One 725.
globetrotterdk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Oscar799 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Moved here by moderator
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Sonsum on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

globetrotterdk wrote:OK, thanks. I read the LMDE faq as well as the LMDE stable faq. So, installing the gnome-shell installs a complete Gnome 3 environment? There may some issues with driver support, as I would be installing LMDE on my new Acer Aspire One 725 netbook. Will drivers be available in LMDE as default or will I need to find a backport kernel that I can install? I believe the computer has what is called an AMD Brazero chipset with an AMD C-60 1 GHz processor (AMD A50M), AMD Radeon HD 6290 (1366 x 768), Broadcom BCM43228 [14e4:4359], and an Elantech touchpad.

Installing the "gnome" metapackage will install all of gnome. Since I didn't want all the games and stuff, "Gnome-shell" worked perfectly for me.

And as far as I can tell, we should be able to iron out the problems (if any) that your netbook would have with LMDE.

Here's an Ubuntu guide. It's not exactly your netbook or Debian, but it gives me hope that your components should be fine. Unfortunately, I've never dealt with AMD or NVIDIA drivers before, so I cannot be of assistance with that.
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Postby globetrotterdk on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 am

I tried booting with an LMDE system from an external CD/DVD drive. The wireless didn't work and for some reason, the touchpad is disabled. I have to press Fn - F7 to get the touchpad to work. Is there a new LMDE respin expected soon? I imagine that there are a lot of updates waiting with the current LMDE install.
Acer Aspire One 725.
globetrotterdk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sonsum on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:08 pm

globetrotterdk wrote:I tried booting with an LMDE system from an external CD/DVD drive. The wireless didn't work and for some reason, the touchpad is disabled. I have to press Fn - F7 to get the touchpad to work. Is there a new LMDE respin expected soon? I imagine that there are a lot of updates waiting with the current LMDE install.

If you look around, there are a lot of posts asking that question. There is one coming soon, but there's no saying when. There are a lot of big upgrades (the biggest probably being the gnome 3 upgrade) which complicates things.

If you want to try and solve your wireless issues now, however, you could try installing the driver for your wireless card following these instructions:

http://wiki.debian.org/wl/#Wheezy
Sonsum
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions