Mysterious update notification

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mysterious update notification

Postby ergosys on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 pm

I keep getting this notification: "Update: An update is available" (or something really close to this). I've gotten it several times, and I'm not sure where it is coming from. There's never anything in the update manager when I go look, so it must be something else. Any ideas?
ergosys
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mysterious update notification

Postby caf4926 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:31 am

What version of Mint
Where does the notification pop up
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ergosys on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Current LMDE release UP4, Cinnamon 1.4. Using "latest" apt sources, so pretty stock.
The notification pops up where other notifications do: on the primary monitor, upper right.
ergosys
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caf4926 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm

ergosys wrote:Current LMDE release UP4, Cinnamon 1.4. Using "latest" apt sources, so pretty stock.
The notification pops up where other notifications do: on the primary monitor, upper right.

Is it actionable?
I use Mate BTW
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Lippy on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 am

I had the same thing. It's part of packagekit, which has its own update manager. Gnome has it included. In fact, the gnome-core metapackage has it as a dependency. Since I have mintupdate and synaptic installed which work better, this was an annoyance so I uninstalled it. The only trace of it that still exists on my system is libpackagekit-glib2-14 since it is a dependency of gnome-settings-daemon and removing that would get rid of Cinnamon too. Those notifications and the packagekit update manager are gone anyway.

The Mint Update Manager (mintupdate) is a bit smarter when it comes to dependency issues. If upgrading a package causes a dependency conflict, the update won't show up. Other package managers should show the offending package(s). That could be why you don't see any updates there, while packagekit is sending you notifications that there are.
LMDE (tracking Testing) with Cinnamon; Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (using Nouveau)
Lippy
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions